Author Topic: Tragedy in Montauk!  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Tbone

Tragedy in Montauk!
« on: December 01, 2008, 01:05:03 PM »
I saw this on another NJ site.  This is a real tragedy for such a young guy and his son to witness the whole thing.  I saw Marty on an episode of Tred Barta striper fishing in Montauk at night.  Please be carefull out there. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/30/2008-11-30_dad_marty_mcmillan_dies_in_fishing_horro.html

(Edited due to inoperative link)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:10:36 PM by IrishAyes »

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Tragedy in Montauk!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:11:32 PM »
Such a sad event. As Tbone said, be careful out there.

Prayers go out to the victim and his family.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:35:14 PM »
Very sad !

I received a Text Message about this 1st thing this morning.

My friend Anthony who I fish with in Montauk knew Marty 8 yrs & Marty lived in the same town as my friend Anthony.

I personally did not know Marty but every trip I made to Westlake Marina I showed all my Friends Marty's awesome Aluminum boat.

My Condolences to the family !!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:36:56 PM by Art Berkman »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »
Horrible tragedy!  What an absolute shame...the loss of another great father and awesome fisherman.  Thoughts and prayers for him and now more importantly his family and friends.

It's a shame he couldn't be rescucitated.  He was rescued pretty quickly!  Kudos to the other civilian boat who responded, rescued him from the water and tried to revive him!  Something so routine, turns into something so bad.  I feel very bad for his son who had to witness that.  Unfortunately, something he will never, ever be able to forget :'( :'( :'(.

nosmly
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:21:22 PM by Pfishingruven »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »
not good
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:30:46 PM »
A tragidy indeed...to lose his life on a boat...in front of his son.
He was regualr poster in aboating forun I frequent. He will be missed not only by his family and close friends, but also by many he never even got to meet in person.

RIP Marty/Ironwoodtuna.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »
Very sad...It realy shows how fast things can go bad.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 04:08:31 PM »
A true tragedy and one that should not of happened.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends. 
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »
WOw.  Very Sad ..

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 05:32:25 PM »
My God you just hate to hear these things happen.....Thoughts and prayers to his family

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »
Very sad !
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 07:31:46 PM »

God Bless him and the family.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 08:39:42 PM »
Sad story. God bless his family, and may he rest in peace. <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 09:12:28 PM »
A true tragity, my prayers go out to the family. I am sure the victims son will long be haunted over this, I wish him Gods strength.

Things can go to Hell in a blink of an eye Safety and awareness of your situation is always the most important thing to remember. 

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 10:10:41 PM »
 whs
Maybe we should ask for those small comfi pfd's for Christmas. You never know when you will need one.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 11:41:27 PM »
 So sad. nosmly

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 12:50:10 AM »
Maybe we should ask for those small comfi pfd's for Christmas. You never know when you will need one.

...And a good, solid, sharp rescue cutting knife ;D!

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 06:25:15 AM »
You just never think it could happen... We all have been there at one time or another...

I have PFD's on the boat... But I'm like everyone else out there.... You just dont think it could happen.

My prayers go out to his family
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »
I copy & pasted this from another site.

Marty's son Cody wrote.

My dad

i thank you all for your support and i went to the other links and that press release isn't totally correct
this i what really happened . . .

We went out fishing Sunday 11/30/08 we left the dock at 6:15AM after getting breakfast over at gaviolas with the other two guys that joined us on our trip.
We ran 17miles to Apple tree a wreck to try and find some bigger black fish and maybe some codfish. We pulled anchor3-4 times and never found the wreck or rough bottom.
we then moved 5 miles back to where we limited out on black fish the day before(Saturday) at South Western Ledge a big rock pile.We anchored up but fishing wasn't great, mostly begauls and only 1 black fish. so my dad wanted to pull the anchor and move up a little more because we were off the ledge. We started pulling the anchor but the anchor ball never popped up and this has happened before when we snagged something. We pulled rope in for about 15-20 min and finally got to the chain. My dad put the boat in neutral and came to the back of the boat to help us. We puled the anchor up and saw the lobster pot line, but he didn't want to cut it because it's the lobster guys lively hood and how he makes a living . then the anchor got pulled out of my dad hands because the boat was drifting so my dad let some rope out and told me to go to the helm.
he said "okay Cody put in reverse"i put in in reverse than he said "okay good, now neutral" so i did then he said"forward quick" and i put it in gear and added some throttle. . . and as i did he was standing on top of all the rope we had already brought in and the rope started going out as i started to circle around for another try.
My dad's leg got wrapped wth the rope and he went over i heard him yell and i put it in neutral. the other guy yelled man overboard as i watched my dad hold onto the gunnel trying to get it off his leg and got pulled over. I put the boat in neutral and went and got a throw ring and had the guys throw it to my dad as i went on the radio to call in a man overboard on channel 16.
i saw my dad floating with his head above the water next to the orange anchor ball and i started to head towards hima nd tiold the guys to get ready to grab him. . . they missed
i circl around this time my dad on my side
he was already under water but i pulled his head up and had both my arms under his arms trying to keep his head above the water
he was unconcious the boat was drifting and he got pulled out of my arms and was under again.
i circled around real quick and this time one of the guys got out a galf. they got his jacket and as they pulled to bring him in his jacket came off.
then i started backing down and got halfway to where i assumed my dad was and wrapped the prop with our anchor rope because the guys onboard didnt know to tell me where the line was so that didnt happen.
throughtout this i was on the radio with the coast guard and the other two gys onboard with us were shooting flares at the closest boat which we found out later was the viienne.
we finally got them to come over and by then he was already under a good ten minutes and unconcious. myself and the two otherguys on our boat were just yelling some many different things that i dont think the Vivienne new what we wanted them to do.
we finnaly got across to them that we were disabled and that my dad was still underwater straight out the back of our boat.
they grabbed the lin with a galf and followed it until they got to the bouy with my dad next to it .
they cut the anchor and brought my dad aboard and i am unsure of what they did after that.
I was now adrift and i pulled in all the anchor line and got two wraps off the prop but i couldnt get anymore off.
the reason for this was because the vivienne is a downeastern and cant go as fast as i could so i knew my dad would have a better chance if i coudl get hiom onto our boat and i didnt care how rough i wa sgoing to get him back.
the vivienne couldnt transfer my dad to a coast guard boat because it was to rough

i love my dad and i hope he lived happily and i know that he will still look out for me.
and all i wish is that the cold got to him before the more painful suffereing underwater

Cody A. McMillan
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:08:26 AM by Art Berkman »

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »
very sad after reading that,thoughts and prayers to this man and his family.
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-