Author Topic: Need help finding a new fishing pole.  (Read 7399 times)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Need help finding a new fishing pole.
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:26:21 PM »
Hey Guys, I'm shopping for a new rod to fish the Raritan bay and off Sandy Hook. I want to match it up to my Penn International 975 leverdrag baitcaster reel with braid. I want to use it for Fluking and some Bluefish and Striper action. I prefer 7 foot with cork butts. I have been using 7' Ugly Tiger sticks in medium light, medium, and heavy. Any suggestions will be great and under $225 will be better. I want a rod with more feeling in the tip that will be good for a few different types of fishing. ???
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Need help finding a new fishing pole.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:32:21 PM »
Eddie, I use the Fenwick HMX Trigger stik. Number is HMXT70MHC. It is 7' medium heavy, casting and has a cork grip. It also has carboloy tip.

This is my all around rod. I use it for fluking up to 8 and even 10 oz sinkers. Also used for stripers and tog.  t^

I match it with an Abu Record reel. Also had my Abu MX on it and several other reels. I am the proud owner of at least six of these rods.

Best feature is...way under $100.  TT^ Never had an issue with them.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 07:35:53 PM »
Lot's of choices at that price range...

May want to take a look at the Lamiglas Tri-Flex Inshore series. I don't own one but have checked them out and they're real nice.

Tsunami Classic series is a good rod for the money.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 07:41:06 PM »
I had the Lami Tri-Flex Inshore, Tog Specific (TFX7040CT). Great rod, broke it on Rod's boat last trip out with him. My own stupid fault, not that of the rod. Any rod would have broken from what I did to it.   ;D

I would compare that rod with the Fenwick and for the money, go with the Fenwick. Could pretty much buy two Fenwicks for what the one Lami would cost ya.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:18:58 PM »
Eddie,

I like a lot of rods by St. Croix.  http://www.stcroixrods.com/
For ocean fluking I use the 7' MH Tidemaster, which is matched up to a Penn 955 (no longer made) and 30# braid.  For lighter weights and bucktails up to 4 oz.  I use a 7' MH Avid on which I have a Calcutta 250 and 20# braid.  St. Croix has just come out with a new series of Avid rods specifically for inshore fishing.  I haven't had a chance to check them out in person yet, but if they're anything like their freshwater cousins they should be awesome!  http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/default2.asp?rodname=8

Personally, for my next purchase, I'm looking to get a new spinner and I've been considering their Legend Inshore rods.  Although I have reservations about the REC guides they used on them.  Too bad they didn't just use the SIC.  That would have made my decision easier. ;D

If you want something with a little heavier (all around) action, I have been fishing a 7' G Loomis Muskie rod (MUR843C) matched to a 400 Calcutta and 50# braid for well over 10 years now.  This rod can handle everything from sea bass to stripers, and sinkers up to 14 oz.  Although Loomis no longer makes that exact model, their 7' Pro Blue PB843C is basically the same blank in a saltwater series.  Slightly more than your $225 budget, but they are beautiful rods. ;) 
http://products.gloomis.com/gl/products/alltackle/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441771219&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302036654&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181201&bmUID=1228793894619

Don't forget, there are many tackle shows coming up in the next few months.  It will be a good opportunity for you to flex a bunch of rods and see everything that's out there.

Good luck with whatever you choose. t^
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 10:32:40 PM by Bucktail »

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:29:08 PM »
I just bought two Penn Pursuit graphite rods at Sports Authority for 50 bucks each.
It's 7' mid to heavy rod with a fast action. Rated for 15-30lb test. It's ation and feel is comparable to my Lamiglass Inshore Classic 7' med heavy rod, and my Gloomis MU843. While it isn't a qualty rod like the Lami or the GLoomis, but the rods were better built than my TiCa 7' Striper, which cost twice as much.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:08:35 PM »
loomis
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 11:22:13 PM »
Most of my rods are Ugly Stiks of various types, and I have almost always (yes, everyone has bad days)out fished my friends with their expensive St. Croix, Fenwicks, Lami's etc. and oh yeah, here comes the "M" word, I use mono. Years ago, fishermen caught record fish with bamboo poles as thick as my finger, with thick linen lines. My advice, buy a new Ugly Stik for $75 (try an inter-coastal) and spend the other $150 on Jack Daniels!  chrz chrz chrz  <'((((><
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:27:45 PM by Fishin Dude »
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline mckee17

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 02:25:54 PM »
Right on Fishin Dude!   t^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »
I also have had good luck with ugly sticks and JD
occasionally mix w/Coke but usually straight up

I have heard good things about the Shimanos for the Light and Light-Med actions but have not tried one; they seem a bit expensive but not like a Loomis

Checkout the Offshore Angler catalog I think they are Basspro gone saltwater--they have many of the big names and a large selection. I'm hoping Santa brings me some gift cards they are easy to carry and take up almost no room in the sleigh hint hint Christine.

Offline Duffman

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 07:44:22 AM »
Lamiglas Inshore Classic  IC 70 MH.

Will fit that reel like a glove. Perfect rod for most situations you'll find inshore and wont break the bank.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 08:12:51 AM »
alot of you guys say lammi ,dont you snap them alot ,I had 2 on my boat break this season and talked to alot of guys that say the same ,I had one guy rail a 19 in fluke and his new rod snapped in 3 places .if you are spending good money on a rod dont settle for anything less than a loomis ,20 years from now you can slam it in a car door and they replace it for around 50 bucks.I am rough on all my gear and it gets thrown around so I break anywhere from 1-4 loomis's a year and they replaced every one no questions asked

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 09:39:36 AM »
 grtn I vote we do a ROAD TRIP to Cabelas and help Eddie spent his Money  ;D
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 10:47:44 AM »
The aforementioned Lamiglas rods are a good choice, especially the inshore series.

Also take a look at the GLoomis Pro Blue 843C or the slightly heavier 844C.

I think the reel you're thinking of using is a bit overkill. IMHO, no need for a lever drag reel for fluke, blues or bass. A Penn 965 (a reel I use for fluking) or Shimano Calcutta 400 (I've been using a pair of these since 1995 for clamming, chunking & jigging bass/blues) are more than adequate. If you don't want to spend alot of $$ on anew reel than take a look at the Shimano Tekota 500.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »
The aforementioned Lamiglas rods are a good choice, especially the inshore series.

Also take a look at the GLoomis Pro Blue 843C or the slightly heavier 844C.

I think the reel you're thinking of using is a bit overkill. IMHO, no need for a lever drag reel for fluke, blues or bass. A Penn 965 (a reel I use for fluking) or Shimano Calcutta 400 (I've been using a pair of these since 1995 for clamming, chunking & jigging bass/blues) are more than adequate. If you don't want to spend alot of $$ on anew reel than take a look at the Shimano Tekota 500.

The Penn 975 is the next larger size than the 965. I have to admit the lever drag is sweet.  Thankyou, for the suggestions guys.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 09:13:09 PM »
Penn 975  t^    <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:40 AM »
Penn 965 has a star drag as opposed to a lever drag on the 975.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 08:45:54 PM »
Penn 965 has a star drag as opposed to a lever drag on the 975.

Thanks Skolmann, I already have the 975. I bought my dad a 965 last x-mas because he would never spend that much on a reel and he fishes 4 or 5 times a week. Its a great reel and he loves it. I am looking for a pole to match the 975.  chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 10:09:25 AM »
Just putting my two cents in the mix. I would go along with IrishAyes. I think the Fenwick HMX trigger stick 70MHC would do everything you want.

I have been using Fenwick rods for my own personal use as well as my customers equipment in my charter business for about 10 years. I have not had a single issue with any of them. I have used conventional as well as spinning rods.

The Fenwick 70MHC would be my recommendation. As Ayes also said the price is not bad.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:13:59 AM by Capt Craig »

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 08:51:20 AM »
Im going to check out the Fenwick HMX70MHC and a few St.Croix models too.  ;)
Eddie "Hunter 2"

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-