Author Topic: 2012 NJ Summer Flounder / Fluke Regulations  (Read 42497 times)

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
2012 NJ Summer Flounder / Fluke Regulations
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »
NJ Summer Flounder / Fluke Regulations
Option 5 Passes
The New Regs are as Follows..
17.5 inch @ 5 fish... May 5 - September 28 29%
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:25:10 PM by IrishAyes »

Offline FinItalia

Re: 2012 NJ Summer Flounder / Fluke Regulations
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:21:14 PM »
 clp

Offline Great American Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »
Option Five is May 5 to September 28 and Five fish at 17.5 inches.

This is INSANE!!!!!!  You do not give up Three Fish for a lousy half an inch.  We lost the Eight Fish bag once before and look how much money and time we spent to get it back.  And research.  And now we give it away for a lousy half an inch??????  

The folks who voted for this will be sorry.  Never give up three fish for a half an inch.  Never.  This is so lame!!!!

Here is the other thing.  When The Obama White House says we are overfishing for Fluke in 2012.......  2013 NJ regulations will be a NY style regulation.  Those of you who voted for Option Five will be sorry.  Make all the money you can in 2012.....  you will be out of business in 2013.  That my friend is the bottom line!!!!!

Do we know the Black Sea Bass regulations for 2012?

Over and Out!!!

5hrug
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:27:58 PM by Great American Fisherman »

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »
All I can say is enjoy it while you can. We gave up 3 fish per day for nothing.Everything the SSFFF (and us) did to get the bag limit bag up is wasted.  And mark my words with the 17.5" length it will be claimed we greatly overfished. We will dearly pay for it in 2013. 

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »
All I can say is enjoy it while you can. We gave up 3 fish per day for nothing.Everything the SSFFF (and us) did to get the bag limit bag up is wasted.  And mark my words with the 17.5" length it will be claimed we greatly overfished. We will dearly pay for it in 2013. 

I agree

I wanted Option 4
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Bottom Dweller

• FISH HARD OR GET OUT OF THE BOAT
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 08:46:48 PM »

Exactly whs
You can't catch'em from the couch. Can ya?

Skipper of the Slowski

Offline Great American Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 08:55:11 PM »
The "for hire" people that voted for Option Five for 2012 will be out of business in 2013.  2013 will be two fish at like 20.5 inches or more.  And you will be out of business.  Never give up three fish for a half an inch.  

BTW, The Wharton School of Business called, they want their degree back.........  What a joke!!!!  

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »
 clp clp couldnt agree with you guys more. Ive been saying this all along. Give the guys some meat that was the majorities cry, well you got what you wanted. Next year theyll be crying give the captains $ because theyll be out of buisness. Cant wait to see the amount of boats up for sale next year. You get what you wish for, a half inch fcp. what a joke
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 11:04:11 PM »
Ok...time for me to chime in....G.A.F. that was about the most far fetched comment i ever heard....the charter business does not survive on Fluke Fishing...its a Part of the overall picture...not the whole business.... Did all the Charter boats in New York go out of business  when they raised the Fluke size limit in New York? Hardly. I think the ridiculous price of gasoline will put fisherman out of business before a size limit will ...bit noone wants to talk about that.
We talk about losing 3 fish on the bag limit.....3 fish that very few ever caught to begin with......
The season length is about the same as last year...which everyone was happy as hell with.....now all of september isnt good enough all of a sudden?
For the last few years we all heard how much BS it was since the 18 inch limit was put into place.....now that its 17.5 thats all BS too?
We can all regulate ourselves if we want....17.5 is a MINIMUM size.....if you feel that strongly about it, when you go fishing just keep the fish that are 18 and over if thats what you want to do....nothing wrong with that!!!
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 05:47:34 AM »
I have to agree with Capt Carl. I don't see a half inch making that much difference. Wouldn't that leave more larger fluke available for breeding? I have heard that argument too. Shorter size limit less pressure on the breeders.  :headscra:

Offline DJ76

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:44:37 AM »
I don't think a single fluke regulation one year is going to put a guy out of business the following. I find that laughable.  sorry, not trying to upset anyone, just repectfully disagree.  I like to go on a charter with friends and family for the enjoyment, NOT to feed my family.  Its much cheaper to walk into my local fishmarket and purchase my food than to fish for it.

Now, if you tell me fuel costs i can buy that one...its basically a domino effect. Fuel is going to make business raise costs AND fuel is then going to make the customer think twice about spending extra money (both travel costs & boat costs).

just my two cents.

as for the fluke regs.  When i fish off my boat its me and one other adult. sometime two adults and my 8yo son.  I can guarantee you that i won't be taking home ten or 15 fish...for what?  I'm not trying to feed an army, just a few fresh fillets if possible for the dinner table.

I try and use circle hooks to lessen the gut hooks and decrease mortality in smaller hooked fish.  I dont place my foot on the fish to remove the hook and I don't simple toss the fish overboard, i place it in the water until its good to go and release.  i feel good catch and release tactics are better for the fishery than any reg will ever be. again, my two cents.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »
Here is how I see it hurting. All last season we heard how everyone is throwing back fish 'just short' and if they were allowed 17 1/2" fish they would have limited out on most of their trips. I know I have caught my share of 'just short' fish the past few seasons.

Now, if we are to believe what pretty much EVERYONE was saying about that then there is a REAL possibility that we will overfish our quota by double or triple this season. If that were to happen what will the 2013 season be? ZERO fish!!!

So, that half inch can come back to bite us on the ass for next year. Hopefully  I am wrong on this.

As far as it putting charter boats out of business, what else is in abundance to fish for in the summer? Do we now beat up on the seabass because we don't want blue fish?
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 08:31:14 AM »
Ok...time for me to chime in....G.A.F. that was about the most far fetched comment i ever heard....the charter business does not survive on Fluke Fishing...its a Part of the overall picture...not the whole business.... Did all the Charter boats in New York go out of business  when they raised the Fluke size limit in New York? Hardly. I think the ridiculous price of gasoline will put fisherman out of business before a size limit will ...bit noone wants to talk about that.
We talk about losing 3 fish on the bag limit.....3 fish that very few ever caught to begin with......
The season length is about the same as last year...which everyone was happy as hell with.....now all of september isnt good enough all of a sudden?
For the last few years we all heard how much BS it was since the 18 inch limit was put into place.....now that its 17.5 thats all BS too?
We can all regulate ourselves if we want....17.5 is a MINIMUM size.....if you feel that strongly about it, when you go fishing just keep the fish that are 18 and over if thats what you want to do....nothing wrong with that!!!

you guys fight for the longer season and higher bag limits, then beg for lower sizes so customers can take something home... Well whats Capt Carl and the other boats gonna fish for next season when NO ONE wants to spend 600 +- dollars to keep what will eventually be 3 fish per man  ???  its the bigger picture more than the need now....
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »
and i am NOT singling out you Capt Carl... but there are guys who support and actually were heavily involved in the SSFF, who helped raise moneys from people like me, to help lenghten the season and raise the bag limits, only to beg and support the cry to go backwards in the end ..... BS
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline Spearfish

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 08:38:41 AM »
This year all the complaining will be that if the size limit was 17" they would have got their limit.  The same guys who limited last year will limit this year, only with less fish.

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 09:14:30 AM »
You guys know me better than that....i would not take anything personal.....no personal attack here....im am merely responding to a post.....and stating my opinion which i am entitled to just as anyone else is.

Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
I know this much all those just shorts last year are 18 this year so know well all catch our limits and over fish our quota forcing big brother to squeez us more. Great. fcp Id doesnt matter what the size limit is if your not using what works. Several people  complaining that they couldnt catch keepers, well when you fish at the same spot with the same gear your gonna get the same results. Im by far a"sharpie" but I know one thing if theres no fish where your fishing move. Never the less I am looking foward to  catching the flattiez especially that the water never really got  cold. You can bet your but that if what I think will be there this year Ill be returning 17.5s to swim again. Good luck to everyone on the flatties. I will post pics and reports as it comes.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline fathergll

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »

Mark my words, if you opted for a longer season then you would have overfished as well. People fail to understand that the highest reported landings come from the longest open seasons. Why do you think NY got penalized so greatly in the past? Remember if the season is open they will count that as fishing being landed even if there are storms preventing any landings of fluke. 

Biologists have stated that the best way to constrain harvest is through season, not length. They don’t want you picking through 50 fish to get a keeper.

Offline fathergll

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
Option Five is May 5 to September 28 and Five fish at 17.5 inches.

This is INSANE!!!!!!  You do not give up Three Fish for a lousy half an inch.  We lost the Eight Fish bag once before and look how much money and time we spent to get it back.  And research.  And now we give it away for a lousy half an inch??????  

The folks who voted for this will be sorry.  Never give up three fish for a half an inch.  Never.  This is so lame!!!!

The problem is the vast majority of fishermen do not ever come near the 8 limit. You're asking for regulations to benefit only a very small segment of the population. Thats just a fact.

When it comes down to either having a smaller size limit or less fish, smaller size limit is by far a better way to distribute the fish. This will help out surf guys, rental boats, kayaks, party boat guys and even most private boat guys.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »

very well said
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-