Author Topic: Painting bucktails ?  (Read 16375 times)

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Painting bucktails ?
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:17:03 PM »
Making some bucktails jigs and would like to know some of your ideas and suggestions on the BEST Paint to use and procedures for painting them;So I do it right.
What works best.           Thanks, AJ.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Re: Painting bucktails ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:06:43 PM »
Hey AJ..Kenny here. I received your PM the other day, I tried to respond but your mailbox on the site is full.

I just poured off a bunch of jigs myself and have the same questions with respect to the painting.

I'm going start with some white rustoliem spray paint then add some color then maybe a clear coat for protection.

I figure that I shouldn't get too fancy with an expensive paint job, I fish the Big Mohawk on the rocks and loose 4 to 6 jigs on average per trip. More had Jimmy not shown me his little trick on how to free some of them up.

I'll be watching this thread for some help as well. There's a lot of Fluke sharpies on this site, Joe from the Irish Eyes gave me a great source as to where to buy the molds.( thanks again Joe ) I bet he has the painting down to a science, among others on the site.

This is just the kind of thread that makes this site shine. fisherman sharing with other fisherman. helps us all enjoy the sport more.  t^

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »
AJ, just a quick side bar here but I though that the 8/0 hook seemed to be a bit large on the 2 to 4oz spro mold.

I did read another post on site that seemed to agree. I'm thinking of going to a 6/0 on the 2 to 4oz.

Anyone else agree? or is it just me? 5hrug

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 04:25:41 PM »
I tried that and it didnt work ,I use a basic primer like zinzer for the first coat then spray on any good color you like then clear coat it .oil base is no good it cracks when the paint is applied and it does not allow paint to adhear to it .think about when you paint new sheet rock you have to prime first then paint ,I didnt do this last season {my first painting my own} and my paint chipped fast ,then I tried this way and they lasted alot longer

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 04:57:35 PM »
Catfish, I know there are different types of zinzer out there, is the one you prime with the alcohol base that dried real fast almost like a shelac?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »
I don't get fancy with my bucktails. I powder paint them with white and then add a different color if I want. The white acts as a primer as Catfish said.

When I want a different color or a fancy one, I pass the bucktail along to a friend who paints them and adds the hair.

Catfish posted jigs that he painted up last year and they are awesome. He air brushes them.

Here is a previous post that may interest you. Catfish's spros are on page one.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=6159.0
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 04:59:05 PM »
Just to add...I have not found any type of paint that will last for any period of time when you are fishing in a rocky area.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
those are the sh*t ones I hand painted ,I use any primer that is cheap ,I make these to save money so I do cut corners when possible .I use a air gun now and they come out 100% better than the one it the ublove thread.here are some waiting to be tyied for this season .

you can see what a differance hand painting and air gun painting makes ,Do anything you want but learn what colors work for you and stick to them

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 05:10:58 PM »
I have tried that Rustoleum paint and it did not hold up so good. It chipped and cracked off the bucktail. I do not want to get fancy, but i do want the paint to stick !!
What do you think of this POWDER coat stuff?Does it work and is it easy to use?
Or any other paint you might suggest would be cool. Come back.           thanks, AJ

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 05:16:11 PM »
alot of guys like the powder ,I do not ,I find it is chipped easier on rocks and it continues to chip off the bucktail until it is gone,My paint chips off the bottom belly of it but stays on the rest of the lure so it continues to work .I just can not get the hang of powder ,I follow the instrutions to a T but I dont like the stuff and it is easier to air gun them

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 05:21:48 PM »
Dose any one use a clear top coat like polyurethane?

Just curious if that would make the paint job last longer, or just be a waste of time.

Nice looking jigs Catfish....

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:25:23 PM by Kenny »

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 06:09:43 PM »
what do you use as a clear coat over the paint?
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 06:49:49 PM »
What about this http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip or another product I've used for my flounder sinkers called Grip & Guard?  It holds up much better than paint.  I've never used it on bucktails, but I suppose it would work the same.

The only drawback is that it's not available in all that many colors.  I wonder if they can be mixed to create different shades.  Hmmm.... ;)

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 07:03:51 PM »
Bob, looks like it might work on Bucktails.Cool

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »
I think it would go on too thick and take the detail out of the bucktail. The spro molds make the jigs so the scale pattern shows. I think the plastic will smooth this over. Don't know how much of a big deal that would be.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »
I think it would go on too thick and take the detail out of the bucktail. The spro molds make the jigs so the scale pattern shows. I think the plastic will smooth this over. Don't know how much of a big deal that would be.

I'm not so sure about that.  Here's a pic of my sinkers (which I took for the "Winter Flounder Rigs" thread).  They were dipped in Grip & Guard.  The numbers on the sinkers are pretty clear.  In fact, they are probably more pronounced than before they were painted.  I realize the scale pattern on the jig is more subtle, but I think it could work.  At least it might be worth a try. :-\

FYI, in case you're wondering, the sinker on the left was spray painted.  I had put it in the picture to show how quickly the paint scrapes off on the sprayed ones.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 11:15:22 PM »
I do have the same stuff you used. I will try dipping a jig in it tomorrow, if my senile mind remembers to do so.  TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
FYI Guys they make a thinner for the Plasti-Dip.  I have been toying with the idea of using the clear on my teaser heads.  I have been told it works great.

The only thing clear is not sold in to many places I have been looking so I guess I will have to get it on line.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 12:56:32 AM »
Men, if that Grip and Guard works I think that will do the trick. Lets see what happens.

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »
what do you use as a protective clear coat over the paint?

anyone?
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-