Author Topic: Spooling a Reel. More dumb questions from the newb!  (Read 3046 times)

Offline shkbilly

Spooling a Reel. More dumb questions from the newb!
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:00:18 PM »
Bought my first pair of new reels this week and I like to try spooling them myself. I bought a 300yd. spool of 30lb PP and I have a huge spool of 50lb mono. I want to use the mono as a backer/filler and topshot with 150yds on each of the PP. I read the article Bucktail posted on calculating How Much Mono You need To Back A Reel I get it.

Dumb question of the week is...

How can I count the yds going on the reel as I spool it up??  ??? 5hrug

I don't wanna end up screwing this up but I'd like to do it myself so I know how.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:14:32 AM by Hotrod »
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Spooling a Reel. More dumb questions from the newb!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:06:46 PM »
Here is one way. It goes on the rod and set to zero. Put the line in the counter and crank it on. You may have to turn the counter upside down so it works correctly as they are typically used when you are letting line out.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=PMPZOZ5XOY0PZLAQBBKCCOVMCAEFKIWE?id=0002054013743a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0800504&cm_ite=0002054013743a&_requestid=74488

What I do at times (if it is critical that I know the exact amount I am putting on) is to string the line between two points of a known distance and put out the amount you want, then crank it on your reel.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:11:44 PM »
Thanks Joe!! Thats awesome, I didn't know they were available as an add-on piece.

I'm not looking for an exact perfect count. I just don't want to end up with 100yds on one reel and 200 on the other. Or not having the reel full.

BTW, what happens if the reel isn't full? I read on here it is best to fill it as suggested by the manufacturer.
Bill

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 07:19:59 PM »
If a spinning reel is not full, you may loose a little casting distance. A conventional reel, doesn't matter.

Nothing drastic will happen with a reel not full. Unless you are fishing in very deep water and don't have enough line to get to the bottom.  TT^

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »
Nothing other than the obvious. Ok then, haha. It gets easier. There is some oops forgiveness.
Bill

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 08:35:52 PM »
If a spinning reel is not full, you may loose a little casting distance. A conventional reel, doesn't matter.

Nothing drastic will happen with a reel not full. Unless you are fishing in very deep water and don't have enough line to get to the bottom.  TT^

whs  The only other problem you'll have with a reel that's not full is that you'll lose cranking speed. 

For example:  My Torium 16 can bring in 42" of line with each turn of the handle.  But that is based on a full spool. 

If your reel is only half full you will retrieve considerably less line with each crank.  Thus, on an under-filled spool you will have to work harder to retrieve the same amount of line that you could have with a full spool.

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »
Got them both finished just now! I used Bucktails article and calculated that I needed 230yds of 20lb mono so that the 150yds of 30lb PP would fill the spool. I scrambled around at the local tackle stores and couldnt find a line counter like IrishAyes posted so I took his other advice. I paced out 100ft. between 2 fence posts in my backyard. Then I tied the mono to one and wrapped it between the 2 posts 7 times. I tied onto the reel a bit short to get my 690ft. (230yds) Then I reeled the line in keeping it tight and walking between the 2 posts. Next I strung up the PP and tied that onto the mono backer with ALberto's knot and reeled that it. Filled the spool right where it needed to be. Perfect!

It couldn't have gone any better. Thanks guys!
Bill

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 07:09:55 PM »
Good job done. I'm glad it worked out for you.  t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 07:54:56 PM »
Nice t^..  where is that post by Bucktail.. can you put that link in your post t^

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
Nice t^..  where is that post by Bucktail.. can you put that link in your post t^

Sure thing boss.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=2727.0
Bill

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 11:08:09 PM »
Glad it was of use to you.  Good luck! t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-