Author Topic: VHF Radio - Who needs this garbage?  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

VHF Radio - Who needs this garbage?
« on: July 15, 2007, 04:12:48 PM »
Hi All,

Absolutely disgusting!

I am glad cell phones work pretty well near and mid-shore. I must say that the people who use the VHF radios should be ashamed of themselves (those that use it properly, I am sorry you have to wade through the other junk). The foul language and derogatory comments are too much too handle.

I took some neighborhood kids out for a ride and I will not even comment on the return communication after a requested radio check by one of the kids. BTW, radio checks are required before leaving port, as well as signalling.

I used to try to listen but now, as of today, I have finally given up.

Going forward, I will monitor required USCG channels and use the radio for weather. For distress, while I will use it, in reality I don't even need to call in a Mayday as I have an EPIRB, cell phone and DSC distress.

If you would like to speak with me, please call me on my cell. The number is (732) 859-1212.

It should be required to use your registration number when talking on this device. It is absurd that anonymous has come to mean disgusting.

Totally a joke,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 04:16:50 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Re: VHF Radio - Who needs this garbage?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 04:21:36 PM »
Capt Ed,

Must whole heartedly agree with you, I always monitored 13 and 16 and a few others that I talk with other Capts on, but have had to turn the radio off because of the language being used as I had Kids/women and men who did not wish to hear that.......now I just scan 13 and 16......

If it is not some foul mouth, its two guys talking for 30 minutes like they are on the phone or somebodies kid jerking around for hours...............most of my communication is done with cell now..........

Another reason why I like deer hunting, my tree is quiet ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 04:28:23 PM »
Hi Capt. Bob,

You spoke it much better than I!

I actually did hear a conversation with a USCG and a person who was chatting on VHF 16 and when they asked him to get off the channel, he fired back an expletive. Absolutely defiant and no fear ...

It must be frustrating to law enforcement as well. Now that GPS and other technologies are relatively cheap, they should build a code into what is being transmitted so they know who these folks are and can take action. Sort of a caller id for VHF radios. Actually, all the technology is in there if you have a DSC radio and programmed the MMSI number. Maybe something like that.

Best wishes,

Ed

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 04:48:27 PM »
I dont ever turn mine on ,I use cell phones ,if you need me call me dont ever try me on the radio I wont be there

Offline bowguide

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:12:56 PM »
I agree with  Catfish I rarely turn mine on anymore

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 06:22:42 PM »
i agree also with all the bull on the radio and nonsence, but I will admit also, I do keep mine on. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 06:24:21 PM »
the vhf is awful. we always end up turning it off due to the boneheads using it.

the cb radio is also bad. my ex and I always used our cb because we were on the road to or from vermont every weekend. we used it to hear the truckers giving the road reports on I95 but the chatter between the truckers was pretty bad and sometimes really disturbing. :(
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 06:38:20 PM »
 i tried something new this weekend, switched to channel 10. only thing i heard was seatow two other people.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 06:39:26 PM »
i find i turn mine off after 10 minutes . but comforting for safety.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 07:40:30 PM »
I use it because I know others who monitor stations and we keep in touch over the water.
nce we get in touch or know we are each out on the water, we bust out the cellphones for conversation (or spots/reports).

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 07:51:21 PM »
from my experience, its easier just lifting up the mic to talk, when my cell phone rings, my hands as usually fishy, wet, etc. and hate to pick up the cell phone.  I lost one already because of the water. 

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 07:56:42 PM »
from my experience, its easier just lifting up the mic to talk, when my cell phone rings, my hands as usually fishy, wet, etc. and hate to pick up the cell phone.  I lost one already because of the water. 

You mean you lost it because YOU dropped it in the water  :P

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 08:02:54 PM »
I went out for few hours today  bay was snotty so not alot of people out. The radio would not stop. My wife was even being drivin nuts the italian NYer she is! I told her worse thing i ever did was move the antenna from inside the wall to ontop  of my radar arch NOW i hear EVERYTHING!!! Ny- shark river even sometimes.... we need a chan hardly used  that most us can get on. 68 and other channels are too many fools! 
'

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 06:41:09 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm telling you, get your ham tickets and we can have our own series of repeaters up and down the coast.  They can all be linked so communications
will be possible within approx, 50 miles of any of the antennas.  Depending on the height of the transmiting antenna.

Just a thought.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 06:43:45 PM »
Hi Paul,

Ham operators are strictly monitored by the FCC. Is that correct?

Now, why don't they make it mandatory to have a VHF license ... one can embed the operators ID into the signal and then 90% of this garbage will be elimiated.

I know ... just preaching to the choir.

When are you available to get out again?

Ed

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 06:58:48 PM »

You mean you lost it because YOU dropped it in the water  :P
water damage, didn't even lose it in the water, just got wet from hands, etc..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 09:31:05 PM »
Hi Ed,

You are correct about the Id's.  Every Police, Fire, and most Ambulance rigs and hand helds are equipped with an ID code sequence. This is done for one simple reason and that is the safety of the officer, firefighter, etc.  Whenever they key up the number is recorded at dispatch and the name of the officer comes up, especially when their panic button is pressed.

The technology is there but I think it would be a nightmare for them to follow up.  But I wish it would happen.  The scenario is simple,  whenever you by a radio your radio which is preloaded with the number is assigned to you when a form is filled out the store and it is sent to whoever and whenever you key up your number is loaded into a CG computer with a date & time code plus address of the owner.

It would be very easy in theory to do but what about all those radios out there right now, do you retrofit them say by a certain date?

Plus radios like mine, I can transmit out of band because of my Army Mars designator when I was active.  I no longer operate MARS (Military Affiliate Radio Service), but the rig I have can.

Unfortunately it is like CB a good thing turned bad... :-[

It would be a lot more feasible if we tried to license our members.  Besides VHF two way you can have the system linked to the phone system, Amateur Television, APRS system that links your radio and GPS unit to a computer system that can show exactly where you are in real time.  Plus you can give real time reports as they are happening if you want.

Some pretty cool stuff goes on over amateur radio.

Sorry for the long post but I have been a ham since 1964 and have seen some pretty remarkable changes that has altered the way we communicate.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 09:31:46 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm telling you, get your ham tickets and we can have our own series of repeaters up and down the coast.  They can all be linked so communications
will be possible within approx, 50 miles of any of the antennas.  Depending on the height of the transmiting antenna.

Just a thought.

Happy Catching

Paul

paul,
captain mike and I will be on board after the summer. TT^
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 09:43:42 PM »
Hi Ed,

You are correct about the Id's.  Every Police, Fire, and most Ambulance rigs and hand helds are equipped with an ID code sequence. This is done for one simple reason and that is the safety of the officer, firefighter, etc.  Whenever they key up the number is recorded at dispatch and the name of the officer comes up, especially when their panic button is pressed.

Happy Catching

Paul

Paul,
My department is not that up to date.  We are currently equiping our patrol units with GPS, but that's pretty much it for now.  It was only a few years ago that we got rid of our tin cans connected with string.  You might say, we, on the east coast, are about ten years behind the departments on the west coast.  There are some departments here that do have modern technology, but you would be amazed at some of the stuff we still have to use.

Joe
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 09:57:23 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks everyone for their comments!

I guess I will take many people's advice and monitor the stations like 9, 13 and 16 and find a station less crowded with knuckleheads. I guess 10 is the choice ... but isn;t that band for commercial fishing?

Thanks,

Ed

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-