Author Topic: Salt Water Registration Bill On Senate Agenda..Vote Dec 9th  (Read 6071 times)

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
Salt Water Registration Bill On Senate Agenda..Vote Dec 9th
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Just received from the FRA:

NJ ANGLERS GET REGISTRY BILL ON COMMITTEE AGENDA
RFA-NJ Expected to Testify At December 6th Hearing in Trenton

The Asbury Park Press today reported that Sen. Robert Smith (D-Piscataway), chairman of the Senate Committee on Environment and Energy, has said the New Jersey saltwater registry bill sponsored by Senator Jeff Van Drew (D-Cape May) and Senator Jennifer Beck (R-Red Bank) will be up for vote on Thursday, December 9th at 10 a.m. 

Senate Bill 1122 would require the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to maintain a free annual angler registry program to meet the new federal mandate for data collection at the federal level, and would allow New Jersey to apply for an exempted state designation from the federal registration requirements. 

Earlier this week, it was learned that the federal government would no longer be offering a free angler registry program at the federal level when NOAA Fisheries announced a new $15 federal fee will be required of all anglers fishing in New Jersey coastal waters starting January 1.  To avoid this surcharge, an Assembly Version (A823) of the no cost registration program was passed by a 54-16 vote in March, following unanimous passage from the Assembly environment committee.  A823 was sponsored by New Jersey Assembly representatives Nelson Albano (D-Cape May), Matt Milam (D-Cape May), John Amodeo (R-Northfield), Celeste Riley (D-Bridgeton), Paul Moriarty (D-Turnersville), Scott T. Rumana (R-Wayne) and Gilbert Wilson (D-Audubon). 

The Senate version needs to clear from committee on Thursday before it can be taken up for a full Senate vote in advance of the looming federal deadline.  Initially referred to the Senate Environment Committee last February, Sen. Smith told the Press that he'd been awaiting feedback from the DEP Commissioner and the Governor's office on S1122, saying he was reluctant to move the bill if it didn't have a chance of passing.  "I haven't received an answer, but it's time to move forward," Sen. Smith said. 

For the coastal angling community, getting the bill to committee was a big hurdle to clear. "This shows that our recreational anglers can move mountains when it's time to act," said Jim Donofrio, Executive Director of the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA).  "We're thankful to those legislators, who helped push the saltwater registry legislation through the political process, but it's those fishermen and business owners who took time to call their senators, write letters and send emails which are the ones who deserve much of credit for clearing a huge legislative obstacle, and the RFA thanks you." 

Donofrio said representatives of the RFA-NJ chapter will be on-hand for Thursday's Senate Environment Committee hearing in Committee Room 10 on the 3rd Floor of the State House Annex in Trenton, but warned the angling community that there is opposition to the bill.  "We know the Director of the Division of Fish and Wildlife, Dave Chanda, is very much opposed to this bill and would like to see it remain stuck in committee," he said.  According to Donofrio, Chanda is opposed to any registration program for which doesn't have a fee attached for anglers to pay. 

"There are a handful of individuals who are pushing to have a user fee attached to this registry, but that's simply not an option at this late stage," Donofrio said, adding "it's not up to taxpayers to define how programs will get paid and how much we'll have be charged, that's for legislators to decide, and these legislators who've sponsored S1122 and A823 believe there's already funding available to get this registry program in place."

In a commentary published in both the Asbury Park Press and the Atlantic City Press this week, Jim Hutchinson, Jr., Managing Director of the RFA said that saltwater anglers already contribute over $100 million in state and federal taxes through the sale of more than $640 million in annual saltwater tackle sales. Hutchinson said that based on those U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service estimates, coupled with data showing that there are between 245,000 and 496,000 saltwater anglers who need to be registered to fish in the state of New Jersey, the cost to the state has already been covered by fishermen. 

"There are only two options on the table right now, either get S1122 passed to establish a New Jersey saltwater registry in time to meet the federal requirement, or do nothing and let the federal government jam us with a $15 saltwater user fee," Hutchinson said.  "We've already heard from the fishermen who get it, and apparently so have the legislators."  According to Hutchinson, legislative offices were inundated with thousands of emails, letters and phone calls this week, which is the type of political action required to get the democratic process moving. 

"There are a half a dozen fence-sitters out there who are asking if they can write out checks to the state of New Jersey in order to fish the coastal waters come 2011, but in terms of the legislation that needs to get passed in time to avoid a federal fee, there's only one option, and that's Senate Bill 1122 sponsored by Senators Beck and Van Drew," Donofrio said, while adding "there are literally hundreds of thousands of saltwater anglers from Pennsylvania and New Jersey who are hoping that S1122 is cleared from committee on December 9th and put to a full senate vote soon after," he added. 

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
Re: Salt Water Registration Bill On Senate Agenda..Vote Dec 9th
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
thanks for posting

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »
I would say the majority of NJ anglers do not support the free registration bill. I called today . I do not support the free registry bill.I also sent this info and more:

**** **** poll resulted in 68% supporting a NJ saltwater license. 50,000 members

********  poll resulted in 92% supporting a NJ saltwater license

New Jersey Marine fisheries council supported a NJ saltwater license with a 7-2 vote

Cape May co. Charter and party boat ass. voiced their support at the NJ council meeting (8000 members)

NJ federation of sportsmen's clubs {100,000 members} support a NJ saltwater license

CCA the largest angler ass.{100,000} members on the east coast support a saltwater license

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
 5hrug fcp nosmly

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »
Ben, the next time you come back to the board us the screen name DICK

I answered your post in another topic(which is the same as this post, nice cut and paste job). The 5000 member vote you quote, only 201 voted! That leaves 4799 non-votes. Those are the ones who ignored your poll because it was a farce.

But you do have a point the CCA is probably the largest angler ass group. (your words not mine)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:27:07 PM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »
 rofla

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »
I will appoligize to the CCA on the statement that was made. Although I don't know a lot about them, I do know that I don't agree with a lot of what they say, but I don't know enough about them to say they are asses.  grtn

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 09:53:24 PM »
Oh silly me, I forgot to mention the wording of the poll also came into play with the way the guys voted.

How is this for an unbiased poll?

Given a choice would you buy a NJ saltwater license if the money was only used for the enhancement of NJ saltwater fishing?

That out of towner, is cut and paste directly from the poll. No words were change, nothing was altered.

I think a lot would vote for a license, IF A LICENSE IS INEVITABLE, if the money was to be ONLY used for the enhancement of fishing.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 11:57:49 PM »
In response to the original post, this is tremendous!  clp

Now, I guess the next thing is to call your state senator and ask him or her to vote for this bill.
Not sure who to contact?  Click on the link to find your senator and their contact info.  http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/districtnumbers.asp

Let's keep New Jersey free of a saltwater license! t^

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:50:44 AM »
Irishayes, It was a poll not a vote! It was a poll taken from a membership that includes all users of the saltwater fishing resource.

Remember it was a Poll not a vote. A good poll is an excellent way to determine how people will vote in a general election, who will buy a certain product or whatever. The universities have it down to a science. An accurate poll is one that would produce the same results if taken numerous times. To produce an accurate poll it must hit the intended group. Examples a poll on the best sport fish would be much more accurate if taken on the bass barn opposed to a women's bodybuilding site. A poll of a Cape May County Senators likelihood of being reelected taken in Cape May County would produce accurate results opposed to the poll being taken in Essex Co..

What percentage of the group must be polled for the poll to be recognize? Faileigh Dickinson University's poll on the last NJ Governor race contacted 694 New Jersey voters, we have 9,000,000 residents in NJ. The poll proved to be extremely accurate.

Offline njdiver

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 11:09:34 AM »
In response to the original post, this is tremendous!  clp

Now, I guess the next thing is to call your state senator and ask him or her to vote for this bill.
Not sure who to contact?  Click on the link to find your senator and their contact info.  http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/districtnumbers.asp

Let's keep New Jersey free of a saltwater license! t^

NJ Senate Environmental and Energy Committee

Senator Bob Smith - Chair
Legislative District 17

216 Stelton Road
Suite E-5
Piscataway, NJ 08854-3284

Phone: 732-752-0770
Fax: 732-752-1590

Email: SenBSmith@njleg.org
Official Website: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=53

Senator Robert M. Gordon  - Vice-Chair
Legislative District 38

14-25 Plaza Road
P.O. Box 398
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

Phone: 201-703-9779
Fax: 201-703-8127

Email: SenGordon@njleg.org
Official Website: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=307

Senator Christopher "Kip" Bateman
Legislative District 16

36 East Main Street
Somerville, NJ 08876-2308

Phone: 908-526-3600
Fax: 908-707-4578

Email: SenBateman@njleg.org
Official Website: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=304

Senator James Beach
Legislative District 6

1916 Route 70 East
Suite 3
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003-2172

Phone: 856-489-3442
Fax: 856-489-4180

Email: SenBeach@njleg.org
Official Website: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=310

Senator Jennifer Beck
Legislative District 12

32 Monmouth Street
3rd Floor
Red Bank, NJ 07701

Phone: 732-933-1591
Fax: 732-933-1598

Email: SenBeck@njleg.org
Official Website: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=303

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »
I contacted all of them. It is going to pass for sure. Everyone that fishes in NJ will save the 15 dollars. Do not look for fishing in NJ  to get any better. Mater of fact, it will most likely get worse as more cuts are coming for fish and game. Better join that 9 dollar airfare club ASAP. Tip of the day, the fish are in Florida for sure.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 05:41:28 PM »
I contacted all of them. It is going to pass for sure. Everyone that fishes in NJ will save the 15 dollars. Do not look for fishing in NJ  to get any better. Mater of fact, it will most likely get worse as more cuts are coming for fish and game. Better join that 9 dollar airfare club ASAP. Tip of the day, the fish are in Florida for sure.

Yes cuts maybe coming but it is not because there is not a fee attached to the registry, it is due to this state being in economic shables.

We will fair better in court challenges not that we will have a hard number of fishermen to go to battle with, rather than a guesstimate, which is not accepted by any court.

Bettering our fish quota/size limit/season is done through the various bodies committee herings as well as court battles where hard facts need to be put forth.

And it is not the State of NJ or the US Gov that does these battles, it is the JCAA, RFA, SSFFF, IGFA and many other private organizations that are not funded by the government and would not receive a dime of any fee attached to a license or registration.

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 06:33:29 PM »
I look for all the seasons and bag limits to be increased,due to the fact
when  they set the quotas  they use  1.3 million as the number of NJ saltwater fishermen.

Offline njdiver

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »
I look for all the seasons and bag limits to be increased,due to the fact
when  they set the quotas  they use  1.3 million as the number of NJ saltwater fishermen.

With the most recent NSAR numbers for NJ around 182,000, your calculations are as off as your poll.

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 10:04:12 AM »
NJDiver, My point was, they did not use that estimate of the number of NJ saltwater fishermen when setting last year's flounder season, they used around 1.3.million. Hopeful the true number is closer to the one you mentioned. It would stand to reason that we would see an increase to the flounder season and bag limit with a million less NJ saltwater fishermen.

As far as the poll, it was not my poll it was the peoples poll. Mater of fact, when I showed the poll to the Senators staff, their ears looked like a German shepherd's, when he hears something interesting.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »
I've seen many German Shephard's ears go up when someone farted. What's your point. You pass on bad information and someone believes you. That is pathetic.  :P

Offline Capt. Mac

• AKA Kens Dock
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 07:26:45 PM »
 Bill S1122 should at least cover our share of the Federal dollars we are going to lose with the free saltwater  registry bill.

****The federal law:The law states:
§ 80.10 State certification of licenses.
(a) To ensure proper apportionment of Federal funds, the Service requires that each director of a State fish and wildlife agency:
(1) Specify a license certification period that:
(i) Is 12 consecutive months in length;
(ii) Is either the State’s fiscal year or license year;
(iii) Is consistent from year to year; and
(iv) Ends no less than 1 year and no more than 2 years before the beginning of the Federal fiscal year that the apportioned funds first become available for expenditure;
(2) The State may count only those persons who possess a license that produced net revenue of at least $1 per year returned to the State after deducting costs directly associated with issuance of the license. Examples of such costs are agents’ or sellers’ fees and the cost of printing, distribution, and control

* New Jersey missed out on a 150 million dollar grant just last year due to lack  of a NJ saltwater license.

*The State of Florida was quick to take advantage of the money:
The money requested would come from Obama’s stimulus package.
3,129 immediate construction jobs would benefit local economies near hatchery sites.
Upon completion, 169 permanent green jobs would exist in the form of biologists and other hatchery personnel.

This is in addition to the money that is going to be lost in Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program funds.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 07:44:17 PM »
Ben, I am done with this topic. You will not convince me that a license is needed or beneficial. I won't even try to convince you that it is not needed. Let's move on to something else.

How bout dem STEELERS!!! (I'd rather debate football than beat this dead horse any more  ;D) [/i]

Offline njdiver

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »
Bill S1122 should at least cover our share of the Federal dollars we are going to lose with the free saltwater  registry bill.

Have you even read the bill? 

****The federal law:The law states:
§ 80.10 State certification of licenses.
(a) To ensure proper apportionment of Federal funds, the Service requires that each director of a State fish and wildlife agency:
(1) Specify a license certification period that:
(i) Is 12 consecutive months in length;
(ii) Is either the State’s fiscal year or license year;
(iii) Is consistent from year to year; and
(iv) Ends no less than 1 year and no more than 2 years before the beginning of the Federal fiscal year that the apportioned funds first become available for expenditure;
(2) The State may count only those persons who possess a license that produced net revenue of at least $1 per year returned to the State after deducting costs directly associated with issuance of the license. Examples of such costs are agents’ or sellers’ fees and the cost of printing, distribution, and control

At least add to your copy and paste the title of the law you are quoting and the source.

Title 50: Wildlife and Fisheries

PART 80—ADMINISTRATIVE REQUIREMENTS, PITTMAN-ROBERTSON WILDLIFE RESTORATION AND DINGELL-JOHNSON SPORT FISH RESTORATION ACTS

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=970bef6df6fbdcba98821f123d29ee75;rgn=div5;view=text;node=50%3A6.0.1.5.23;idno=50;cc=ecfr

* New Jersey missed out on a 150 million dollar grant just last year due to lack  of a NJ saltwater license.

Back up your statement with documentation of the grant offer. 

*The State of Florida was quick to take advantage of the money:
The money requested would come from Obama’s stimulus package.
3,129 immediate construction jobs would benefit local economies near hatchery sites.
Upon completion, 169 permanent green jobs would exist in the form of biologists and other hatchery personnel.

Back up your statement with documentation that shows the grant had actually been given.

This is in addition to the money that is going to be lost in Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program funds.

We cannot lose what we have never had.  NJ has always been a de minus State for Wallop/Breaux funds.  We are not alone in this, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode island, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Vermont, West Virginia, Hawaii and Puerto Rico all received the same amount this year. The figures for next year are the same for all of them again, although reduced no doubt due to the state of the economy.

http://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/GrantPrograms/SFR/SFRFinalApportionment2010.pdf#page=3

http://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/GrantPrograms/SFR/SFRPrelimApportCertificateFY11.pdf

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:35:10 PM by njdiver »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-