Author Topic: World Record Fluke Caught today (8/17/2007)!  (Read 147326 times)

Ruger314

Re: World Record Fluke Caught today (8/17/2007)!
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2007, 05:20:56 PM »
I think the captain of the boat should come forward and resolve all the issue.. Hey its ahuge fish not doubt. but the care of the fish is sad..Someone wrote awhile back..

$100's in tackle

$1000's in boat payments

Hrs and hrs of prepare and time on the water

cost of a few bags of Ice  $3.00!!

And yes Capt. Ed.. I think you should get reckonized for the hard work on the local areas numbers..I back that 100%

You have made my mid coast adventure a hell of a lot easier!!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
Rod, you are correct about being skeptical, but...people need to form an opinion on facts, not on, 'OH, i heard this and that.  That is all I am saying.

Who here would want their name drug thru the mud on hearsay or rumor?
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2007, 05:24:10 PM »
Hi Joe,

I expect you to break the Striper record soon! Can we have an exclusive interview?

You are right ... there is a lot of money involved. That is cool ... but I am sure that is not why she started fishing or will continue to do so ...

For love of our sport!

Capt. Ed

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2007, 05:34:07 PM »
Anytime someone does good there are always those that have that Green Headed Monster steering them toward negitivity. I have seen it to many times.

Instead of being sceptical of others, be greatfull for what you have and you have done, and not worry about others.

Had a young gentleman with me this spring, came off the boat with a 24 and 26 lb Striper, never caught a legal size Striper before in his life. Was estatic until we got back to the dock and he saw another angler with 35+ lb fish, his mood drasticly changed and began questioning me as to why he didn't catch fish that big and only got little ones!

I bit my tongue big time, tried to explain the ways of the world, to no avail. Needless t say he just didn't get it.

Unless things shake out otherwise, I give my congratulations and continued success to Monica. May she catch many more!!!!

Just my 2 cents

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2007, 05:57:57 PM »
Anytime someone does good there are always those that have that Green Headed Monster steering them toward negitivity. I have seen it to many times.

Instead of being sceptical of others, be greatfull for what you have and you have done, and not worry about others.

Had a young gentleman with me this spring, came off the boat with a 24 and 26 lb Striper, never caught a legal size Striper before in his life. Was estatic until we got back to the dock and he saw another angler with 35+ lb fish, his mood drasticly changed and began questioning me as to why he didn't catch fish that big and only got little ones!

I bit my tongue big time, tried to explain the ways of the world, to no avail. Needless t say he just didn't get it.

Unless things shake out otherwise, I give my congratulations and continued success to Monica. May she catch many more!!!!

Just my 2 cents

AMEN!

Seems like their are an awful lot of people who are pretty upset that it wasn't THEM who caught this fish.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »
Hearsay or rumors run rampant in the court of fools.

Lets have a debate, I am all for that, as long as there is something to substantiate the other sides findings.

If you have the time read the story about the Striped Bass record and what Al McReynolds' had to go through.

Happy Catching

Paul
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:09:16 PM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2007, 06:29:21 PM »
Rod, you are correct about being skeptical, but...people need to form an opinion on facts, not on, 'OH, i heard this and that.  That is all I am saying.

Who here would want their name drug thru the mud on hearsay or rumor?

Right.. 

I do say congrats to her.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2007, 06:40:41 PM »
Ped, I have read that report.  It is a shame what some people have said about him due to nothing more than mere jealousy.  Miserable people they are.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »
To be honest, I'm skeptical.

Here's why in MY opinion.

There are many truely great anglers on this board, on other boards and who don't post on the internet that put hundreds of hours in each year to catch a trophy class fish of any species. Yet in less than a year's time this woman has caught a #18.1 pound weakfish (think it ties the NJ state record & is a potential line class world record), a #13.3 blackfish which set a woman's line class record, a #4.6 winter flounder this spring, a few weeks ago a near record stargazer and now this fluke. Perhaps if it wasn't in such a short time span I'd feel differently but as I said there are some truely great fisherman who have put countless hours & years into trying to catch that 1 big one and haven't come close to what she has down in 12 months.

One other thought crossed my mind, if this woman is so familiar with catching record size fish she would surely know the proper way of handling a potential record fish (not ripping/cutting a bucktail of its mouth, properly sized cooler etc.)

Not saying she didn't catch it (& props to her if she did)--all I'm saying is that to me it seems alittle dubious.

Offline twin lights

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2007, 08:35:17 PM »
I agree with Skolmann. Too many large and record fish by one person in such a short time. The picture of the fish looks like it is alot older than a few hours. If I caught a record fish the first place I would go is to a tackle shop to weigh it.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2007, 08:39:54 PM »
Hi Twin Lights,

So am I to doubt anyone that has caught a lot of big fish in a short period of time?

By your reasoning, should I then doubt people like Phil Lidlow (Spelling - sorry?) that win/place many tournaments in a row? Or even The Broken One. I don't ... there are many people who catch big fish of many species throughout a season.

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:42:18 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2007, 08:40:30 PM »
come on ,to many large fish you never fished w/ me ,I put at least one 19 incher in the box per trip  ;D.It does sound fishy but I hope it is true that she caught it

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2007, 08:44:15 PM »
Hi All,

I will also say one more thing ... before I give up on a "snag," I will be sure to pull the crap out of that line until it breaks.

I much too routinely break off the line without really giving it an extra pull.

Capt. Ed

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2007, 08:46:19 PM »
back in the day my ole man got one that was over 14 lbs he thought he was snaged and kept yanking on it until it yanked back

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2007, 08:50:09 PM »
Hi All,

And to those that think its easy to get a hook out of a fish that swallowed it, think again. It lodges in there tight and will not pull forward ... period. Going through the gills is no use as its on its way to the stomach.

Think of a hook going into your hand. You have to push the barb through your skin again to cut the barb and then pull it out.

Not easy,

Capt. Ed

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2007, 08:50:40 PM »
What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Oscar Wilde,  ;)

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2007, 08:54:23 PM »
Hi Capt. Bob,

That is a good one ...

Best wishes,

Ed

Offline twin lights

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »
How many people on this site have record size fish attached to their name? 

Ruger314

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2007, 09:19:40 PM »
Ok .. so lets add to the fire..

I just check the fish and game records... the weakfish record is 18.8,, she was seven ounce shy.. And her name is not listed in any of the state records.. Second there is nothing on the website about the possible record catch???

So for now Hats off to her!!! I hope its true.. for her sake.. because I had my problem with just showing pics of trophy bass on the web!!!

good luck.. and to Capt Ed.. I hope to cath a 60lb bass, not hoping to break the record 78 and change!! This is ugly quick!!

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2007, 09:21:59 PM »
I believe that this will sum it up..........

It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things.

Theodore Roosevelt

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-