Author Topic: 4th Annual NJSWF Black Fish Trip Dec 9th ( GAME ON !!! )  (Read 129060 times)

Offline Mr Limpett

Re: 4th Annual NJSWF Black Fish Trip Dec 9th ( STILL ON !! )
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2012, 09:35:20 PM »
P.S. Will you guys show me how it's done? I've never tog fished before and don't know what tackle to bring or what to do at all.  5hrug  I am no doubt using my own rod... but not a clue on anything else. LiL help fam?? 

Same here!
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2012, 09:46:18 PM »
P.S. Will you guys show me how it's done? I've never tog fished before and don't know what tackle to bring or what to do at all.  5hrug  I am no doubt using my own rod... but not a clue on anything else. LiL help fam?? 

Here Trish this should help and make your head spin. ;D

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=3711.0

30 lb test?!
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »
Same here!

Just fish next to Paule and do exactly what he dose  ;D

Not to worry guys...plenty of guys on the trip to help the newbees out  t^

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2012, 09:57:42 PM »
This is a good read on the link, This sounds like a real challenge. Just what I need now to forget everything on shore, can't wait!

Capt -Jerry P
Sponsor

Re: Tog: Tips, Tricks, Tackle, Techniques
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 10:04:19 PM »

first i would like to say some very good info here. maybe i can add a little bit here. gottog makes a lot of good points.

heres some tips i give our customers and friends new to toggin.

1. from what i can see both from deck capt and as avid tog fisherman. way too many people fish too light. if you think you could hold bottom with an 6 or 8oz. use 10 or 12oz. use 40-80 lb main line and 60-100lb leader. blackfish are not line shy. so have the extra  bit to land the big fish. too many times i seen people catch plenty of tog and always lose the hog on there 30 lb test. your 30 lb test becomes a lot weaker once it frays or get a nickin it.

2. very very important dont move your sinker hence the heavier weight sinkers. on most days the bergall will be the first to inspect the bait then mr blackfish will approach. if you swing at the bergall you will on most occasions scare the blackfish away to another angler who has his crab and sinker sitting flat on the bottom. i seen way to many people bouncing there sinkers all over the place while everyone next to them is catching fish.
once you find the bottom leave your sinker there.

3. crabs!!! crab selection makes a big difference. dont be afraid to try different thing. last week you could have caught your limit on hard orange belly green crabs but this week the water dropped 2 degree and the only want the soft green light belly ones. some days its legs on others legs off. whole crabs or 1/2 it all changes. it all makes a difference so change it up.

4. nutin fancy needed when togging. keep it simple. no 3 ways weight clips swivels etc.
double hook rigs are good at times usually when fishing a whole crab with both hooks in them is the best application. hence a snafu or slider hook rig. high lows i personally stay away from. when you hook i big blackfish the object is to get him out of the bottom so no matter how smooth your 450$ reels drag is .if you drag is to loose you will watch him take you right back to the bottom. tight drags and heavy line lands the hogs more times than not. pick a rod that is good for you. a fancy rod spiral wraps and side winders are for the guys who have been doing a long time. none of these will help you learn when is the right time to swing at a tog bite except pratice. ask questions most people will be more than happy to help you out and leave the spinner home!!!

5. dont be affraid to move around on a boat if the crowd allows it. most of the time  blackfishing crowds can be light especially later in the season. no matter how good you are if you dont have good bottom you cant catch blackfish. its not rude among the guys who blackfish regularly.  just be polite. more time you are on productive bottom the more you will catch. many people will bark why cant the capt put the whole boat on the bottom . the answer is simple he could but big well know high profile wrecks get beat up and cleaned out quickly. many small less know snags often produce a lot of big fish ,but it might only be on on side or section of the boat.

6 braid could be a big advantage for blackfish but is could be a huge disadvantage if used wrong. all the tog sharpies i seen almost fish with a bow in there line and for good reason. if you fish with a super tight line with braid your sinker will roll around and bounce everytime the boat moves hence scaring more tog away from your swing crab than it will attract. so yes braid will help you feel the sneaky bites better then mono but if you are getting less bites because you are using it wrong it defeats the purpose.

7  try a 6 pack boat before jumping on a head boat. its more forgiving. it will give the pratice you need to make the most of the fewer bites you get on a tough day on a party boat.
more bites more misses and more pratice. land based tog is also a good pratice. such as a canal or inlet.

8. use sharp hooks. gamu owner and the other chemically sharpened hook will increase you hook up. check your hook points often as well you wont catch to much if you point is messed up the whole day.

9 gloves lol this is a funny one. be in touch with your rod. if you put on the antartica glacier gloves chances are your hands are warm but you dont catch that many tog. dress warm but be comfortable so you can be productive at the rail.

10 fish alot tog fishing takes lots of pratice. the more you go the better you will get. watch and learn from the people who are doing well. find a boat that could be a home for you so you can feel comfortable and have friend to fish with. never stop learning there is no way to master togging  but being able to adapt will help put fish in your cooler.

hopefully some newbe tog hunters can get some good info out of this.  

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:59:08 PM by Mr Limpett »
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2012, 10:04:49 PM »
Now your talking.

Read this and practice this.

Capt. Jerry is part Tog. t^

And Kenny is too modest. Fish next to him and he will keep your "ears warm" and show you the ropes.

Pay careful attention to the "talking to your crabs" part. ;D
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
And make sure Kenny does put on his skates
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2012, 07:57:32 AM »
Pay careful attention to the "talking to your crabs" part. ;D
  rofla rofla

And make sure Kenny does put on his skates

;D

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2012, 08:54:36 AM »
Tip # 1
To keep your crabs lively put them in the pocket. Green crabs in you left leg pocket and  white leggers in your right leg pocket.

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
I don;t have my schedule for the 9th yet.... It is the FIRST day of our next one. I will see if I can nail the scheduler down and see if I can get some intel if I will be scheduled to work or not.

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2012, 09:59:20 AM »
 clp clp clp Let's go Toggin  clp clp clp

WhiteLeggers, I hope the storm did not disrupt my local  supply chain, gotta check into it. 1 bushel or 2?
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2012, 10:01:20 AM »
If any one can get them, I'll chip in.  t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2012, 10:05:43 AM »
If any one can get them, I'll chip in.  t^
I dont know what they are but I can chip in too!!! I can pick them up if there is someplace around here that you guys know of! Just say the word!   

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
Just a different type of crab trish. Boats usually supply Green crabs, white leggers look like small dungeones  crabs and asians are like small green crabs, some times one works better than the other
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »
Just a different type of crab trish. Boats usually supply Green crabs, white leggers look like small dungeones  crabs and asians are like small green crabs, some times one works better than the other
Is there some place around here by us that I can grab some for our trip? Or place a order for them? I like to have an assortment of bait, just incase they are biting on one type and not the other, and seeing as I dont know diddle squat about toggin, anything I can do to better the odds I will!    :P

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
Gulp crabs won't work, right?  5hrug
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
Gulp crabs won't work, right?  5hrug

Dunno but I have bout 7 bags of them we will find out ;D
Is there some place around here by us that I can grab some for our trip? Or place a order for them? I like to have an assortment of bait, just incase they are biting on one type and not the other, and seeing as I dont know diddle squat about toggin, anything I can do to better the odds I will!    :P

Usually Julians carries them, but sometimes not, and the asians usually i get them but I dont know what Sandy has done to my secret hiding spot :-X

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »
Sweeeet! I'm sooo stoked for this one .. thanks for workin it out Kenny!  clp  I can't help much with the logistic for picking them up, but I'm am  surely down for kicking in $$ for some whileleggers..  t^

P.S. Will you guys show me how it's done? I've never tog fished before and don't know what tackle to bring or what to do at all.  5hrug  I am no doubt using my own rod... but not a clue on anything else. LiL help fam??  

Trish,I'm no kinda great togger by any means.. but I have no doubts you'll do fine with your mad skills. read all the great info provided here and remember.. other than the art of hooking them, its just bottom fishin.. which I know you do quite well  msfsh  .. one nice thing about Toggin is the required tackle consists of just hooks, sinkers and hard leader material.. all of which I'm loaded down with, so you and ANYONE who needs rigging is covered  t^ So bring on the crabs, the funk and the fun... and lets tear the roof off the sucka!  TT^  chrz  chrz

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:37:21 AM by Treebeard »

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »
 t^   If anyone needs sinkers i have a flat bank mold and lead just dont have a melting pot no more (thanks Sandy)

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »
This trip is gonna be GREAT!!!! Thanks Mark, Al, EVERYONE for the help! Yea Paulie, that did make my head spin a lil  hhppy I will be following so many of your leads in hopes to land my first!
Hey Al, should I call over to Jullian's? Or should I wait and till we are a lil closer to the trip...how many if I can get them should I get? How do they come? How much are they? How long do they keep? How do I keep them till the trip if I can even get them?     
Also guys, since the BINGO is a lil smaller then most HB's, I think the chili and or crock pot of anything may not be such a good idea this time. especially with the # of peeps comming. I'll try to make something so I have enough for everyone to have a lil bite! Hey Kenny... whats the total head count? I miiiiiiiiiiight be able to pull off lil breakfast sandwhiches, PEC , depending on time of departure, get some goodness in everyone before we kill um! How long is the trip? If its not long, maybe some finger foods to pass around between drifts. Do they move the boat or does he just stay in one spot? Sorry bout the millions of questions fam, I just dont know and im a lil excitied!!!  ;D  msfsh

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
Hey  msfsh ....... You might want to think about trying decaf 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-