Author Topic: First Trip to Alaska  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Bit-Twiddler

First Trip to Alaska
« on: November 11, 2007, 04:12:56 PM »
There is an excellent chance that I will be doing some salt-water fishing at Kachemak Bay near Homer Alaska, next Spring.  Homer is on the western coast of the Kenai Peninsula.  What do I need to know to not look like a complete idiot?

I have never been salt-water fishing, and am a relatively light-weight infrequent fisherman in general.  I suspect that my hosts, all rabid sportsmen (why else would they live in Homer AK?), will supply all needed gear.  But I don't want to appear to be a total fool.  Help!!

Local charter company describes a typical day:
"On our full-day charters we fish until everyone has a chance of his or her limit of halibut, quite often a 8-10 hour day. The daily limit is two halibut per person; it’s a rare day that you do not get your limit. We provide all the fishing gear, bait and FREE fish filleting. It’s a good idea to bring warm clothes and rain gear just in case, as the weather on the water is very changeable."

The pix show halibut, 30-300 lbs!!  So, it should be memorable.
http://northcountrycharters.com/gallery.htm

Any thoughts?  Thank you!!
--BT

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: First Trip to Alaska
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 04:34:24 PM »
Here is a post from another member of the site (fishraiser).  Perhaps you can PM him and get some info.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=2127.0
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 04:52:12 PM »
Hey BT.  Welcome!.

I'll Pm Fish R  and send him in this direction.

Defiantly check out the post he made.

Man you are in for a time of your life!

Bring a camera t^

Offline fishraiser

• "Ya Can't Take It With Ya"
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 08:40:40 PM »
Hey Bit, first off welcome to the site.Secondly you're gonna have a blast in AK.We were there in July & it was drop & reel fishing limiting out every day cfzd.You won't need any tackle but as he said you'll need good warm clothing & a good set of rain gear.Also if you can fit all your stuff in 1 bag for the plane you'll be able to check a cooler in up to 70#'s for the return flight.We had Coal Point Distributers right in Homer handle the packing & freezing of the fish for like $1.50 /#,but then it's like $3.50/# to ship,so if you can try & pack out a cooler for the return.You're allowed two check bags & we saw people pack some clothes in a cooler to get there,then use the cooler for the fish coming home,we bought a cooler up there. Good Luck & we'll be looking for the post/w pix when you get back TT^.Any other ??'s just ask.
Capt. Joe

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »
welcome... i hear its great fishing out there... its a trip I want to make myself one day
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 11:38:07 PM »
Welcome Aboard Bit,

Wow a trip to AK.  Only in my dreams.  I am sure the boys here will throw tons of ideas at you.  Good luck and like everyone said bring back tons of pictures for us guys that probably will never make it out there.

Again Welcome Aboard...

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 11:14:30 AM »
I'm jealous....I've been wanting to fish Alaska for a long time.

I know in the Sitka area that May is prime time for big king (chinook) salmon and halibut. I also think that you're allowed to keep 1 lingcod then as well. July is also a good month for kings, coho (silver) and halibut but lingcod is catch & release.

I've been given the name of a highly recommended charter/guide service in Sitka but several people whom I trust.

In fact, I (along with my son) were invited 2 weeks ago to join 6 others for 4 full days of fishing there this coming July. Everything included (expect liquor): airfare, trips, lodging, tips, meals etc. for $3,000/man. Still trying to figure out how to sweet talk the wife just to even brooch the topic.... ;D.

BTW, if anyone is interested the name of the guide/charter service is Kingfisher Charters. I believe they have a website.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-