Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports  (Read 550132 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports
« Reply #700 on: May 15, 2010, 09:35:25 PM »
 :headscra:

Offline WIDOWER

« Reply #701 on: May 19, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »
Might be buying a house on the canal. Besides blackfish, blues and stripers does anything else inhabit that swift water? Can you catch winter/summer flounder or blue claw crabs during the few hours when it's not ripping through there? Thanks!

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #702 on: May 19, 2010, 01:07:46 PM »
Any and all fish that normally are found inshore NJ waters can be found in the canal. We even get some southern fish that wander up when waters get warm. Those include fluke,flounder,porgies,weakfish,triggerfish,sea bass that I've taken myself. In addition to those you mentioned already. Someone else may know of others.

Offline WIDOWER

« Reply #703 on: May 19, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »
Thanks...really appreciate your reply! My son is big on crabbing...have a few overnighter traps and a few large ring traps....are there crabs in that swift canal too?

Offline bigmills

« Reply #704 on: May 20, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »
I grew up a couple of blocks from the canal and I can say for sure I have caught the obvious bass, blues, weaks, but also fluke, flounder, blackfish, sea bass, porgies, blow fish, oyster crackers, bergalls, some strange lizzard fish, gray trigger fish. Flounder and fluke travel through and there are several areas that will even hold fluke, caught baby flounder in the Marine Police area when it was legal over 20 years ago way over and live lined them for bass. there is a spots near 40' deep where they dug out the old bridge. The best bass spot used to be the old 88 bridge. The Bridge Ave. bridge is good the brick yard is a good spot (secret spot LOL)when we were kids we would throw concrete bricks etc. in one spot and made our own blackfish reef lots of good time as a kid and now fishing in the canal. Hey Wink, see you around

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
« Reply #705 on: June 01, 2010, 09:56:04 PM »
Anyone have any news of catches?  Anyone been fishing in the canal?  This is to quite for this time of year.  Also, was thinking of getting out on the Gimper tomorrow for some night fishing in the river.  Maybe hit the mouth of the canal, anyone been catching bass or blues?  Just trying to get some intel before I do out on the mission  :P.

Gimper
The trouble with fishing is it was better before you got there, and after you left.
When in doubt...exaggerate

Offline Cappyjoe08527

« Reply #706 on: June 02, 2010, 04:54:37 AM »
 t^
Ya gotta hook em' to cook em':)

E Z LIVIN'

Offline Pool Winner!!

« Reply #707 on: June 03, 2010, 08:24:52 PM »
today 6/3 we waited out the fog blanket by catching a dozen or so cocktail blues at the north end... chasing rainfish and alot of grass shrimp were being spit up... we hit it at around 7ish, and tide was ripping out...

Offline samksy

« Reply #708 on: June 12, 2010, 04:14:22 PM »
Anyone fish here lately?  Any reports?  What kind of fish can you expect at this time of the year at the canal?  thanks,

Offline fryedbeans

« Reply #709 on: June 24, 2010, 08:41:26 AM »
Been dead as of late!Trying the bottom and blackies are there.Preping for the 1 fish limit starting 7-16!!Afew up to 12-13" but stay away from the 88 bridge,that pounding will go right through you!

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #710 on: June 24, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »
Been dead as of late!Trying the bottom and blackies are there.Preping for the 1 fish limit starting 7-16!!Afew up to 12-13" but stay away from the 88 bridge,that pounding will go right through you!

thanks for the info...yes the tog are there and i'm gonna get me one t^

Offline samksy

« Reply #711 on: June 25, 2010, 08:41:57 AM »
Thanks fryedbeans!  Guess i'll take a break for now until the day is here ;D

Offline Greg7

« Reply #712 on: July 14, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »
When there a few nights ago as the tide was going out. (apparently the best time). Right before I left I did a couple of "one last cast and then we can go" and after a few of them caught something but couldn't get it in. Might have been stripers being that it was right along the wall, if not then blues. First time I didn't have the drag set right and the next two times I just couldn't keep him on the hook to hoist over the fence. Didn't bring my net and I think my gear was too light   rgmn

Offline fryedbeans

« Reply #713 on: August 15, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »
well if your into the togs i just hsd at least 30 in 2 hours during slack off the wall with about 5 legal size  go get em!

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #714 on: August 15, 2010, 05:16:08 PM »
Nice!  That's some good news.  Will have to get over there when I get a chance.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #715 on: August 15, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »

whs
Get them on clam or crab?

Offline Greg7

« Reply #716 on: August 16, 2010, 01:24:41 AM »
I might go there around 8 tomorrow after work if I dont go to Island beach. Been dying to get back there and it's right down the street from where I work so there should be no excuses haha.

Offline fryedbeans

« Reply #717 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
theres a better bait than the crab and clam sometimes, most of us know what it is too!

Offline fryedbeans

« Reply #718 on: August 16, 2010, 06:55:33 PM »
fishing is still good!my daughter caught this one and the across from me said he caught a few stripers,did not see them though

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #719 on: August 16, 2010, 07:15:10 PM »
nice  t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-