Author Topic: Fit at Fifty or committing suicide!  (Read 25241 times)

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
Fit at Fifty or committing suicide!
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »
Fit at Fifty or committing suicide! thud With my next doctors app. coming up and blood work due and Matt’s (My Doc) badgering to get my blood pumping I decided to get Drew’s old hand me down fix me up 10 speed out of the shed on Monday and go for a short ride to get me started. I found a web site called MapmyRide.com, pretty cool, you put your route in turn for turn and it gives you a lot of info. Any way first ride turned out to be 2.21 miles, not bad and I survived. Today I figured I would go a little more scenic and hit the canal path. Up to lower Ferry rd. and back with a little exploring on the way back. My ride turned out to be app.3.92 miles. Highlight was the 2 cougar’s jogging, WAIT first can I call the Cougar’s when they are probably my age or possibly younger. :headscra: Secondly it’s tough to look cool on an old beat up bike while your taking a break gasping to catch your breath…  :P Have to say those 2 ladies were in find shape! ;D Now that I am sitting down writing this I am feeling a little less winded…. 45 minutes ago I felt like I was going to be calling 911 on my cell phone :P
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
Re: Fit at Fifty or committing suicide!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:47 PM »
A little more training Skip, and you'll be ready to ride the 42 mile 5 Boro Bike Tour with me next May!   TT^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:06:55 PM »
Skip start off slow...  Buy a MOPED .... ;D ;D
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:12:33 PM »
I used to run six miles a day, five/six days a week. Now I get tired driving that far.  ;D

Seriously though, as the others have said, ease into it. Don't push it or you will loose your commitment thinking that it can't be done.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »
 Best overall exercise to me is a rowing machine. I use to have one and recently purchased another. Works legs,mid section and upper body. Benefits don't have to worry about getting run over and if my motor quits on the boat.

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:23:21 PM »
Congratulations on your efforts to get back into an exercise program. I wish I could get motivated myself. Best of luck and keep at it.
See you on Saturday!!
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »
Good going Skip.  I also started  (again) to do some low impact exercises.  I started to use the treadmill and just walk for 20 to 30 minutes a day.  So far it feels good and the best thing about it all is when I walk on the beach I find I'm less stressful.  Not as winded as I use to be.  Keep it up and lets all try to give us seasoned individuals some initiatives to keep going.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Online Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
Good luck Skip.  I just started getting serious about losing the extra weight again.

This is a great thread.  I'm going to sticky it and see if we can keep it going with helpful tips and motivation. t^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »
The nude beach in Sandy Hook is great for jogging,  :P :-*   Jusy kidding SKip. Good luck. And also a good comfort bike with a suspension seat post and a front shock will improve your riding bigtime.  CHRISTMAS IS COMING. ::)
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 08:06:48 PM »
Best of luck. t^

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 10:33:41 PM »
nice going skip...health is most important....try an eliptical machine less stress on the joints

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 10:58:23 PM »
At least you have gotten started Skip, thats more than I can say for myself. I wish you good luck, and good health.  chrz  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 12:00:10 AM »
The nude beach in Sandy Hook is great for jogging,  :P :-*   Jusy kidding SKip.
Wow never thought of that Eddie, I would love to sit and watch those nude girls Jogging ;D

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 08:56:25 AM »
Don't the two just go together....

Fishing and nude women jogging  TT^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 02:13:43 PM »
Good going, Skip clp clp!  Best thing you can do...get out and exercise.  I took up bike riding again in May.  Keep at it.  When I started 15 minutes was too much.  Now, I can ride for over an hour/25 miles without even feeling like I worked out.  I really enjoy it and I will be there in NYC with you, Jay.  I am definitely riding the 5 Boro Tour this year.

This is one of the reasons I haven't fished much this season.  I didn't have a choice, though.  100+ lbs overweight, so many meds, back problems.  I hit the bike and the gym, daily.  If not one the other and sometimes, both.  I had to get healthy and get in shape.  I have lost 50lbs to date, off most of my meds, my back feels great, I have energy, can keep up with the kids and actually have some muscles, now ::).

Getting healthy is not as easy as sitting on the couch and putting on the weight, but it is not terribly hard to do either...and for some it can be life or death.

Keep it up and set yourself small, doable goals to get you to the big goal!  Good luck and when you need motivation remember the good looking women working out on the path ;D!

clp clp

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »
Glad to hear that Matt.  This will be my 4th year in a row on the tour.  Looking forward to this year but it's gonna be a rough one.  I haven't been on my bike in months!

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »
Congrats to you Matt. t^ I thought I was in OK shape until I started riding this bike... :P 4.85 miles today. thud Had to take a small break to answer Capt. Joe's Text message about meeting up for tomorrows fishing trip.;D If I keep going with this venture I will have to take Jasons advice and make a few improvements to the bike or pick something up on Craig's list.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »
Congrats to you Matt. t^ I thought I was in OK shape until I started riding this bike... :P 4.85 miles today. thud Had to take a small break to answer Capt. Joe's Text message about meeting up for tomorrows fishing trip.;D If I keep going with this venture I will have to take Jasons advice and make a few improvements to the bike or pick something up on Craig's list.

Skip,
Why don't you take your bike tomorrow and pickup Capt Joe. He could sit on the handel bars. Just think how cool you guys would look for the cougars.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 02:22:05 PM »
If you plan on really getting into riding, the worst thing you can do is buy a bike from a big box store.  They are crap, can't be tuned right, and will not last.  Buy a bike from a reputable shop and you will not be disappointed. 

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
Way to go Skip. I could use the pep talk too.I'm try to walk a little more each day,seems the pasta and breads  and the good Italian cooking slows me down. We'll  get there......... t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-