Author Topic: Fit at Fifty or committing suicide!  (Read 25239 times)

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
Re: Fit at Fifty or committing suicide!
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »
Congrats to you Matt. t^ I thought I was in OK shape until I started riding this bike... :P 4.85 miles today. thud Had to take a small break to answer Capt. Joe's Text message about meeting up for tomorrows fishing trip.;D If I keep going with this venture I will have to take Jasons advice and make a few improvements to the bike or pick something up on Craig's list.

Skip,
Why don't you take your bike tomorrow and pickup Capt Joe. He could sit on the handel bars. Just think how cool you guys would look for the cougars.
Oh yea Rick that would look real funny when Joe and I show up looking like this  fcp  But I don't have any Rod Racks on my Bike!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:28:55 PM by Pops Soul »
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
 rofla Chick magnets
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
I jog to 7-11 every night...  for a pack of Cigs and a candy bar t^ :P

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
Was out on the bike again today after recouping from battling the blues with Capt Joe on Saturday t^ Lot of old dogs out on the canal path doing their thing which was good, I didn't feel like a freak  nts Anyway 6.5 miles today so it's has been a bit of a increase each time out. Just a little worried about keeping up with it when the weather goes bad, but it does seem like it gets addicting  :headscra: Like a need another hobby. 

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
Congrats to you Matt. t^ I thought I was in OK shape until I started riding this bike... :P 4.85 miles today. thud Had to take a small break to answer Capt. Joe's Text message about meeting up for tomorrows fishing trip.;D If I keep going with this venture I will have to take Jasons advice and make a few improvements to the bike or pick something up on Craig's list.

Thanks!  I knew I wasn't in shape.  I tried to tow my boys in a trailer 2 years ago and ended up walking most of the way.  It wasn't until a year later, that I decided I was not going to live like this, so I started riding.  I can now pull my 2 boys and their Trek Trailer all day. Every time I went out I tried to beat my old time and go a little farther.  Eventually, you end up a lot farther.

I really love riding and like Jason said, I knew I wanted to do it, so I traded in my Raleigh and picked up a nice Trek Hybrid leftover, off season for a great price.  I also decided to get a nice road bike and picked up a used one last May.  Even though, it is a hobby, it is also more than that.  With Winter coming, I hit the gym more than I ride now, and get on a bike, but a day like today was a great biking day for me!

Keep it up...it is very rewarding and as addictive as fishing!

TT^
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:15:31 PM by Pfishingruven »

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »
I'm more of a trail rider, as opposed to riding the pavement.  Unfortunately I haven't been on my bike in months and I can see that I have added a few pounds in the gut.  rgmn  Fishing has taken up most of my free time anymore.  Now, my $3K bike hangs from my garage collecting dust.  The thought has crossed my mind to sell it and buy some new fishing gear, but I can't let myself do that.  Hopefully these stripers will run their course and I can get back in the saddle again.  I only hope I can relinquish my spot at the front of the pack, and not be wheezing away, chasing my buddies through the woods.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 04:12:02 PM »
Here's a video of my bike and I out in Allaire.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Cool Jay...what are you riding?

I ride in Allaire too, but only on the Edgar Felix Path!

Don't sell your bike without getting something to replace it...you'll regret it later.

I haven't gotten into the trail riding 5hrug.  I really like getting on the open road on my road bike and going.  I am riding a Kestrel Carbon Fiber...and if and when I can ever afford it, I'd like to get a nice TT/Tri Bike to do some duathlons?!

TT^

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:39 PM »
Specialized Enduro SL   It's a great bike.  With 6" of front and rear suspension it's probably a bit more than I need for around this area but she will climb like a billy goat. 

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 10:04:37 PM »
congrats to all, it pays to stay in shape. I've run 5 marathons, but that was years ago. now with 1 bad knee, I'm a walker. I walk 5-10 miles a day for 8 days now, I hope I can find my way back.
Paul cell 908-415-9542

Online Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 11:22:24 PM »
Love that joke!  clp

Umm...I hope it's a joke. :-\

;D

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 09:21:47 AM »
I have a buddy in to the trail riding, Way to go Jason cool vid. But I don't think that is for me, Did my share of enduros years ago only with a 250cc Bultaco between my legs. I think I'll leave that tree riding to you younger guys. I like my sack just the way it is not smashed on to the cross bar :-X hhppy. For now I am content and proud of myself for just getting the bike out of the shed and getting started t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 12:55:15 AM »
I have a buddy in to the trail riding, Way to go Jason cool vid. But I don't think that is for me, Did my share of enduros years ago only with a 250cc Bultaco between my legs. I think I'll leave that tree riding to you younger guys. I like my sack just the way it is not smashed on to the cross bar :-X hhppy. For now I am content and proud of myself for just getting the bike out of the shed and getting started t^

hhppy

That's the hardest part...getting the bike out of the shed.  The rest is easy :-\.

Specialized Enduro SL   It's a great bike.  With 6" of front and rear suspension it's probably a bit more than I need for around this area but she will climb like a billy goat. 

Sweet ride...

TT^

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 06:36:18 AM »
I also ride enduro. My new ride chrz
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 09:16:10 AM »
Laker Taker if you had that CLASSIC in your shed it would be worth some bucks. chrz

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 09:17:44 AM »
It might be in the basement of the Alamo.

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2010, 09:46:58 AM »
When We were kids (1950's) My brother had one similar.  It was a Columbia with a springer front end.  I just had a Schwinn which was bottom of the line compared to that Columbia  model at the time.
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »
SInce my first post it has now been 14 days. Still sticking with it and I have been peddling even on a couple nasty windy days and stuck it out. I have been sticking with my 6.5 mile route and since that first ride I think it took me about 1 hr and 40 mins. Today I did the ride in 40 mins  w00t. I have a questions for a couple of our more inshape guys that have been doing this for awhile. Your start out on these cool days and you want to dress for the breeze hitting you in the face and keeping warm, but after a couple of miles I'm sweating under my couple of layers. Do you dress on the lighter side knowing your going to work up a sweat? Any input would be helpful  slt

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 11:46:45 AM »
That's awesome Skip.  You're making some damn good progress!  t^  clp  chrz

When I'm on top of my game, we always ride through the Winter, as long as there isn't any snow on the ground.  It sound strange, but I've been out there with temps in the 30's in a pair of shorts and a riding jersey.  Once you get your heart rate going, you warm up fast.  Most of the time, I'll start out with a windbreaker on, and my snowboarding socks pulled up past my knees, (Can't get into the spandex thing!) or a lightweight long sleeved shirt under my jersey.  Before you know it, the sleeves have to be rolled up to cool you down.  A backpack is good to wear too in case you need to shed some layers.

Keep it up Skip.  We're all proud of ya!

Offline hiking

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 10:23:12 PM »
It's amazing how lite you dress for outdoor activities in the winter. I don't know about biking, but running or walking it's a good idea to start off into the wind it will be a breeze finishing with the wind at your back. something other than cotton against your skin to wisk the sweat away. great job so far, keep at it
Paul cell 908-415-9542

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-