Author Topic: NJ Kayak Fishing - Tips and Trips  (Read 155884 times)

Offline kayak1

• only at night
Re: NJ Kayak Fishing - Tips and Trips
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2009, 06:39:58 PM »
Looks like we are off to a good start as to getting a kayak fishing trip off in April....

Well even though we don't all know the area all that well....
I will hunt for a good safe area to get in the water and back out.....
I feel good just being able to meet up with you guys and get out.....
Hell, even if I don't catch anything.... just being with friends is fine with me.... and who knows a may just learn something new that will work up my way......
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline Seabasstard

• Jimmy Houston style
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
Hey Seaflea, don't feel bad I don't use expensive fishing gear either ;)
Sounds like a yak outing in the making TT^

Seabasstard

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »
Are we talkin night trip or day? I havent fished in daylight for bass in 7 or 8 years. I dont know if I remember how.
www.stripertracker.org  has a lot of info of the bass in the bay/river system
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:15:09 AM by barrell »

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2009, 06:20:41 AM »
SB.... Question? have you fished the area at the end of Great Bay Blvd and Radio Road..... I have always wanted to try that entire arae....

I work down that way.... it sure looks good.

Offline DAK

« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2009, 03:47:59 PM »
Are we talkin night trip or day?

I would have to make it an early morning trip (like 5 - 6am) Sat or Sun, or I could also do Fri night...
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

Offline Seabasstard

• Jimmy Houston style
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2009, 06:47:01 PM »
SB.... Question? have you fished the area at the end of Great Bay Blvd and Radio Road..... I have always wanted to try that entire arae....

I do fish 7 bridges Road ( Great Bay Blvd.) quite often, its 10 minutes from my house.

Right before the last bridge across from the fenced in weather station is a great launch site for Little Sheeps Head creek. From this launch site you can access the fish factory and the inlet. After you launch make sure you park your vehicle up on the grass/street. I have seen the entire beach flooded at high tide with the right moon phase. Also be very careful of the currents in this area, it rips and can be dangerous. Give a shout when you want to go fishing I'll show you what I know about this area. Bring a camera the old fish factory makes for great pics.

Tight Lines,
Seabasstard

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:10 PM »

I do fish 7 bridges Road ( Great Bay Blvd.) quite often, its 10 minutes from my house.

Right before the last bridge across from the fenced in weather station is a great launch site for Little Sheeps Head creek. From this launch site you can access the fish factory and the inlet. After you launch make sure you park your vehicle up on the grass/street. I have seen the entire beach flooded at high tide with the right moon phase. Also be very careful of the currents in this area, it rips and can be dangerous. Give a shout when you want to go fishing I'll show you what I know about this area. Bring a camera the old fish factory makes for great pics.

Tight Lines,
Seabasstard

I've fished out of their quite a few times with a friend of mine.  Lots of great fishing to be had those little creeks! t^

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2009, 06:44:27 AM »
SB.... I would just like to try some other areas this season.... I do enjoy fishing the waters of the barnegate Bay up my way.... Just looking for a change.

What is the best time of year to fish those areas you had talked about......

BT...... What areas have you fished and found to be good

Offline Seabasstard

• Jimmy Houston style
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2009, 08:47:28 AM »
I'm far from an expert but I have had the best luck from April thru June and then again in the fall. TT^

SB

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »
Anyone going up to the Paddlesport 2009 at the Garden State Exhibit Center?

I was over to Jersey Paddler today and they said to defiantly make it a point to go up and don't even think about buy anything till the show.

It looks good and sounds like all the major manufacturers will be up there.  As I will need everything to start with.  And they are offering just about everything at a 20% off all 2009 stuff.

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2009, 06:31:01 AM »
Well Guys its on for sure up in the Toms River area..... The bass showed up hot and heavy over the weekend.....

Both Friday and Saturday nights proved to be very productive..... also a good friend of mine was out Saturday afternoon and lost a good fish.

Most of the bass are in the 20" to 28" range not bad right..... but there was other fish around that were up in the 32" to 37" around as well.

Kayak fishing has become big in this area with more guys doing it..... I thought for sure I was going to be the only nut case on the water... until 8 other yaks showed up.....

The hot plug was the small bunker lure from Ocean lures with the single hook in the back... Ron at fisherman supply has a good stock of the on hand...... This plug has some great action and casts great....... The fish are here.... get out and fish.

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »
Anyone going up to the Paddlesport 2009 at the Garden State Exhibit Center?

I was over to Jersey Paddler today and they said to defiantly make it a point to go up and don't even think about buy anything till the show.

It looks good and sounds like all the major manufacturers will be up there.  As I will need everything to start with.  And they are offering just about everything at a 20% off all 2009 stuff.

Ive never seen any dealer that woulndt match a sale price that another dealer was having as long as it was in stock. You may be able to find another dealer that offers better service before and after the sale and get the same pricing.

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »
Dave, thanks for the heads-up on the fish! Nothin' wrong with fish in the 20" to 28" range; they make for good practice!!  I'm gonna have to get over ther to pick your brains one night!!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2009, 10:10:55 AM »
Hi Barrell, I understand as I will probably not jump into anything to fast anyway.  As Jersey Paddler is only about 15 minutes away I just happened to start with them.  My whole family is going up to the event so I can't turn that down.  I will be able to look at a good size amount of equipment in one spot and then make my decision.  Plus I was PM over the weekend and told that there is a dealer that handles the Malibu boats that Kayak1 has I would be interested in looking at them as well.  Plus I will be stopping down at your store to pick your brains as well.

Dave that sounds great.  I know they were around and I heard in pretty good numbers.  I am going to IBSP later this morning to try the shallows out back like from A20 and work my way north to A15.  I have a number of bunker patterns I am dying to try out on the fly rod.  I am getting closer to making my decision on a boat I will be going up to the Paddlesport show the weekend after this one just to see what is out there and ask a lot of questions.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »
Hi Barrell, I understand as I will probably not jump into anything to fast anyway.  As Jersey Paddler is only about 15 minutes away I just happened to start with them.  My whole family is going up to the event so I can't turn that down.  I will be able to look at a good size amount of equipment in one spot and then make my decision.  Plus I was PM over the weekend and told that there is a dealer that handles the Malibu boats that Kayak1 has I would be interested in looking at them as well.  Plus I will be stopping down at your store to pick your brains as well.

Dave that sounds great.  I know they were around and I heard in pretty good numbers.  I am going to IBSP later this morning to try the shallows out back like from A20 and work my way north to A15.  I have a number of bunker patterns I am dying to try out on the fly rod.  I am getting closer to making my decision on a boat I will be going up to the Paddlesport show the weekend after this one just to see what is out there and ask a lot of questions.

Happy Catching

Paul
If you buy a paddle kayak other then demoing it first, service is not real important. Butif you get a Hobie service is the most important part of thed deal. The foot drive and the rudder system are machines that have moving parts. Ask every dealer in your area if a part breaks on my drive will you disasemble it and replace the part while I wait? Do you stock every aprt for the kayak? Is there someone here capable of repairing every part while I wait? You will be suprised the difference in answers.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2009, 07:58:39 PM »
Will do barrel, but I am still not sure if I will go the Hobie route for the first one.  I am having a little sticker shock with that boat.  But I will go up and see what is out there if nothing it will be some quality time spent with my wife and daughter.

This thing will be expensive especially if you start to add up the costs of the paddle, PFD, seat, all the extra accessories and the roof rack.

I have to pace myself.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2009, 06:35:42 AM »
I will not be around.... going back to Florida for some Kayak fishing in the keys next week....Tarpon on a kayak.... what a rush....

Have fun at the show paul.... dont spend to much money..
Dave

Offline Seabasstard

• Jimmy Houston style
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2009, 08:58:59 PM »
Hey kayak1 I posted this question on another kayak fishing forum, but maybe you can help me. My buddy and I want to plan a fishing trip to the keys sometime in the next year. What would be the best time of the year to fish the flats in the keys? And please don't tell me summer, cause I refuse to go to Florida then. Sometime from late fall to early spring is what I really want to do. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have not been to the keys in 15 years and would really love a kayak fishing vacation with the guys. chrz

Thanks,
SB

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2009, 06:58:38 AM »
Well if I had to pick the best place for you to go its going to be Islamorida..... and the time would be april.....

The spring run of bull mullet starts in mid March right through April..... This run will pull fish of all kinds into the shallow water around Islamorida......

This area of the Florida Keys will offer you very easy flats fishing or open water along with bridge fishing..... The strong current under the bridge will hold some very large tarpon feeding in the early morning and late afternoon......

Islamorida also has some small Islands close to shore with some great flats for bone fishing and black tip sharks.... There is tons of places to put in the water.....

Three main baits are the shrimp, pin fish or crabs.... don't go crazy and buy tons of stuff from World Wide Sportsman while in Islamorida... Trust me.... made that mistake already.

Plugs and soft plastics do work if the fish are feeding heavy..... live bait is by far the best way to go.

All baits I talked about will work for Tarpon,Bonefish and Permit..... Just snap off the corner of the shell on the crabs works better.. If you want to fish for some Black Tip Shark.... any cut bait will work great for you.

If I can help anymore let me know

Dave

Dave

Offline Seabasstard

• Jimmy Houston style
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2009, 06:49:44 PM »
Thanks Kayak1 thats a wealth of information. Thats more help than I got on 2 other forums combined. Looks like next April I will be headed for the Keys with the yak straped to the roof. Hey when you get back from Florida lets do some fishing either down here or up your way. Hey and have fun down in the keys. Catchem up!! t^

Tight Lines & screamin reels,
SB

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-