Author Topic: NJ Kayak Fishing - Tips and Trips  (Read 155945 times)

Offline kayak1

• only at night
Re: NJ Kayak Fishing - Tips and Trips
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2008, 10:52:43 AM »
this sounds like a lure I want to try next season.... where do I get them for salt water use.... good fluke Im sure...

I had a great friend who fished the canal for years... who only through bucktails.... And my teacher of that great place... the canal..

He showed me just how to throw the bucktail out and bring it in along the wall.... Then hold on tight to the rod.....he lives in Forked River thats why I asked....
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2008, 11:16:36 AM »
IMO, it would be tough to throw them and use them like a bucktail anywhere with a fast current, or in water over 10 feet or so.  The reason is because they have a tendency to rise on the retrieve.  When I used them for fluke in deep water I fished them with what would look like a conventional fluke set-up.  Tie a 3-way swivel to the main line, a bank sinker on one eye and a long leader on the other.  I just replaced the plain hook on the end of the leader with a Chatterbait.  It worked best when there was a pretty good drift to get the bait vibrating nicely. t^

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2008, 07:12:11 AM »
Thanks for the great tip..... Im going to try and get over and pick some up for next season.... I have been working hard building up some new plugs for next spring.....

If the weather holds up.... I will be going out kayaking this weekend...

Hope everyone had a great holiday

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2008, 07:45:29 AM »
With 2008 comming to an end... I just wanted to thank everyone who help make this great site what is is today....

Looking forward to a great 2009 fishing season.

I hope all have a safe and happy new year.

Dave

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2008, 09:43:06 AM »
I would like to take a second and echo Dave's sentiments!  This really is a great site, run nicely and has LOTS of info for all to see and share. My hat's off to the administrators; jobs well done and a hearty "THANKS!".  (Yeah, dak, you too!)

Here's hoping that everyone has a Happy New Year and a fish-filled 2009!!

Chal

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2008, 10:33:27 AM »
It is everybody who shares their knowledge and contributes their thoughts on things that make this the great site it is.

This site would be nothing if not the guys posting their reports and tips for all to learn from.

Good reports, bad reports, they all have meaning. You can learn just as much from a bad trip as you can from an outstanding one. Sometimes you learn even more by learing what not to do, etc.

Hopefully, 2009 will continue to bring the great input from all.

I wish everyone a Happy and Prosperous New Year
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline DAK

« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »
I take no credit for any compliments, be they underhanded or otherwise Flea! ;) Give the credit to Rod...I just asked if there was a kayak section on the site, and he says there is now, and you're the mod! And I'm like, uh, but I'm a smacked *ss when it comes to kayak fishing compared to most guys out there...

Seriously, this is a great site because it is informative without the BS and drama you find on other sites. Rock on NJSF.

I think I will work on finishing the Kayaking 101 thread during the winter lull. Anyone feel free to post with stuff you think should be included...
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2009, 04:44:34 PM »
You Guys Rock t^

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »
Its more then just a great fishing site.... I have had some great conversations with most of you and have great respect for each and everyone.....

This is the best fishing site I have ever found and its with great guys and girls who have started this I say Thank You....

Looking forward to a great fishing season in 2009

Dave

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »
Well 2009 is here and kayak fishing will be starting up soon....March for me in the bay until the bunker show up in mid May out in the ocean....

What about in your area.... When do you start...

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »
Haven't really stopped. 

Although I slowed down a great deal because of the cold but I try to get out at least once a week.  I wish they made a decent pair of gloves that would keep your hands warm and still allow you to cast naturally, that is bare finger, and then back into a warm glove.  Oh yeah did I mention they should also be waterproof.

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2009, 09:42:18 PM »
spring will be here soon and now is the time to be getting your kayak ready for the spring run of fishing our local waters of New Jersey.....

I have been asked many times about how to go about setting up a kayak for fishing..... So being we all have some time over the winter now is as good as any.....

I bought my Ocean Kayak for not only fishing... But being able to use it year round....

Find a kayak that is right for you when ever your going to use the kayak..... summer fun or some hard core night fishing... Its the same kayak....

the pictures below show the same kayak.... but with all my fishing gear and just out having some summer fun.....

I will have more on how to build up a fishing kayak and products that have worked well for me in the past several years..... I just need to take some pictures to show you.

Thanks Dave

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »
There ya go,  Thinking Spring already.  Thinking about putting any new equipment on the yak for this season?
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2009, 09:37:36 AM »
Nice pics Dave.  I make it a point to keep my knobbyazz knees covered!!
I need to mount a FF and a rod holder on the Phoenix... I want to use the Round flush mount by Scotty:

and put her right in the "cup holder at the base of the console.

Then use a Rectagular Flush Mount:

and mount that just a tad forward of the FF; use an extender:

to raise the rod holder just above the FF screen. Very similar to yours Dave.

Now is the right time to be getting the materials together but may be too cold for drilling my Trylon boat...
I'll get my "ducks in a row" in terms of materials and when it starts to warm a little then commence ta tweakin'! 
For the time being I'll keep practicing tying teasers!

Chal
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:57:58 AM by SeaFlea »

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2009, 10:20:28 AM »
Seaflea, How do you mount to the kayak being its a flush mount....

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2009, 10:42:11 AM »
Dave, the Flush Mounts by Scotty have four holes for screws.  You have to drill five holes; four for the screws and the fifth for the support piece that ultimately holds the rod holder... 

I like to create a backing plate by tracing the "foot print" of the mount on a piece of Luan plywood or thin plastic drill all the required holes and then put the whole thing together with Marine Goop, Stainlees Screws and LockTite nuts. When the Goop is sandwiched between the backing plate, the hull of the 'yak and the mount itself you'll never see any water come in through the holes.  Kinda like this:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:39:10 AM by SeaFlea »

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2009, 05:41:24 PM »
Seaflea you da man.. on this one, how did you ever come up with that, did you make that drawing yourself or what........ I sending you all my stuff.... That was so cool  t^

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2009, 07:09:28 PM »
Ok, that's enough... You're gonna make me blush...  Thanks, though, I do appreciate the compliment!
Yes, I did create the drawing on my own by finding a jpg of the scotty mount and then making a couple copies of it, making 1 copy yellow to imitate the hull and the 2nd to look like a piece of wood. (It really did turn out well, if I do say so myself!)
I installed two of these flush mounts on my Tarpon which were located right behind the seat and a third was located on the console which held the FF. They work very well!

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2009, 09:37:36 PM »
I had to find more pictures of the kayak.... But I had to use some of the same ones on other posts in order to show all that can go into building up your kayak.....

I hope some of these might just help some of you
to build yours the way you want,It does take some work and some thinking before drilling holes in the kayak..... Take some time and add some new things as you go..... The reason I say this is that not all kayak set ups work the same.... with every thing on the kayak I only had drill some very small holes....

This is the place to ask about building up your kayak, The guys on this site are some of the best I have come across.....Yes seaflea you the man on this stuff....

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »
The ice is now off the bay for now....If the temps stay good we can get out for some early season fishing...... Flounder and Perch are a good early season fish to target.

I like to start fishing the very shallow waters of the Toms River.... This area seems to be good the first week of march....... And if the water warms up fast.... The bass will turn on to.

any other tips to help out getting started.... Please let us know....

Dave

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-