Author Topic: NJ Kayak Fishing - Tips and Trips  (Read 155771 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: NJ Kayak Fishing - Tips and Trips
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »

BT...... What areas have you fished and found to be good

Sorry K1, I just noticed this.  I'm not really the guy to ask about this.  My friend, who has been fishing there for many years knows the area well.  I just kind of go along for the ride. ;D  If your looking for more info you can send him a PM.  His screen name is MarshHawk.

-Bob 

Offline DAK

« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2009, 03:28:22 PM »
Anyone feel like hittig the Mully next Fri night or Sat morning, weather permitting? Pkwy bridge, Mannheim rd, or Lower bank.
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2009, 08:28:18 PM »
Im goin tommorrow night. Weekend looks like rain. Im torn between the mullica and a couple other spots. I fished Nacote creek near Port last night. cell 609-513-1680

Offline DAK

« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2009, 11:18:24 AM »
Sorry Barrell, should have included the dates. I was meaning Fri/Sat 4/4 - 4/5. Good luck, let us know how you do TT^.

How was Nacote Creek? I have caught white perch at the bridge there...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:21:07 AM by DAK »

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2009, 02:24:26 PM »
Back from Florida

Well I was down in the Florida Keys for a couple days and just came home...... We had a house on Duck key which was on the water.... which made fishing and Kayaking much more fun.....

The bad part was that the wind was off the ocean at 40 plus mph every day.... which made fishing from the kayak almost impossible to do.....

So being we just built a new dock off the back of the house..... that made for my fishing fun the rest of the week......

Each day I would take a ride over to the Hawks Cay marina for some chum and shrimp.... then sit on the dock and catch yellow tail and mutton snapper all day long.....this was far from the kayak trip I wanted to have.... But we did have a blast......

If your looking for another great place to just get away.... Try duck Key for your next fishing trip.... you will have a ton of fun.....

We left from AC airport which was so easy going down and back, air fair was low and the car rental in Florida was not that bad either.....

Great to be back home.....
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »
Glad your back and to bad on the wind situation.  At least you were able to fish and have fun.  I hope one of these days to get down there to do some serious fishing.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2009, 06:58:18 PM »
I love the keys it was designed for yakers. I like to paddle through all the mangrove tunnels and get lost.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2009, 11:44:18 AM »
I was out this week looking around the bay after I got back from Florida...... I found that the bunker had moved into some areas of the bay.....

The water temps are starting to show some good improvements and these areas that the adult bunker come into in the spring are showing some good signs of life...... I also found some small bait fish in the back creeks starting to move around more each day....

Barnegate Bay has started to show life early this season with bass showing up as early as the first week of March and with the bait starting to come alive and water temps moving up we should be in for a great spring........

Guys are out in the kayaks now in all areas of the bay doing OK on some small fish.. but that will soon change with the bunker pushing in.... the larger bass will follow the bunker into the back bay and start feeding more with the rise in water temps.....

Bass,weakfish and bluefish will all start to show up this month in the bay.......

see you on the water

Dave

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2009, 05:57:17 PM »
We have been hearing alot about some fish being caught up around the Point Pleasant Canal..... On the out going tide..... So we gave this a try the other day.

We fished for all of 15 minutes and had some nice fish for the next 2 hours on soft plastic baits.... most of the fish were about 26" with 2 going over 32".

Last night on the way home.....I did stop by another spot south of the canal.... on the west side of the bay....... The bait was there and I did see fish on the surface..... But no hook ups.

The bay has fish.....Both North and South ends are all good at this time...... If we can only get a break in weather..... The spring run would heat up fast.....

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »
You are killin' me!!!  So many fish...  So little time...

Offline DAK

« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2009, 05:23:42 PM »
Just got back from my first trip out. Mullica around Swan Bay - first time to this area. Conditions were tough, windy and chilly. 5 min drift and a 15 min paddle back. Water pretty brown. Checked out the area around where the Winding River comes in. There's a nice rip and eddy there. Drifted across the channel edges and on the flats on either side dragging a bloodworm and tossing plugs/plastics. Did not mark a single fish the whole time. Saw no bait either. But I did catch two big fat brown catfish. Oh well, good to feel something tugging on the line...

dak

Offline Seabasstard

• Jimmy Houston style
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »
Anyone interested in fishing 7 bridges road on friday morning? let me know i will post the details. Don't know if theres any fish but I need a salt fix.

Tight lines,
Seabasstard

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2009, 06:23:52 AM »
While on my way home Thursday night I did stop by one of the many fishing and crabing piers along the east side of the bay........ These piers are holding some nice bass right now with the lights on at night.....

I just so happen to take my phone with me so I took this picture....... Notice yellow lure.

If you dont have a kayak or you feel its to cold to use the yak..... then hit a couple of these piers at night.....Enjoy

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »
OK guys...... Its on for sure in the entire bay it does not matter if your in the North or South both Kayaking or fishing from the banks....

The bay is loaded up with adult spearing and adult bunker..... I have a good friend of mine who has been out a couple times this week and has reported some nice bass......

I have also had one report of Bluefish being taken down near the inlet along the sedge areas...thats great because they need water temps above 50 to feed.....and with day time temperatures going into the 70's this week the back bay will really heat up fast.....

Good fishing and be safe

Dave

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, I can't wait.  Now if this slop would only end.  They are calling for minor back bay flooding into tomorrow AM.  If you are going out be careful guys. 

Man it sounds like sleet out there, it is nasty right now.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline shadyvito

« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2009, 09:49:16 PM »
My Kayak will be here tomorrow and you guys got me all hyped up!
PS - That's what that part of the alphabet would look like if there where no Q or R.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2009, 06:07:16 AM »
Cool Shady..

Good to hear from yu t^

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2009, 12:17:02 PM »
Had some nice reports come in to me over the weekend on the fishing in the bay around the Toms River area..... On Saturday we had some very warm weather which set off the spring Red worm hatch and the birds have been going nuts..... so with that said.... Its a great idea to start using anything with red on it..... This normaly starts off the spring bite in the bay....

Start looking for some Weakfish to start showing up in all the hot spots in the bay.....

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2009, 12:39:39 PM »
Now you did it now, I will have to tie some flies in more red patterns.  Good information Dave nice seeing you at the party.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2009, 01:40:58 PM »
Start looking for some Weakfish to start showing up in all the hot spots in the bay.....

I hope to see them more than last year.  I did read a ASMFC article(I can''t find a link to it right now) that said we are in a weakfish emergency, saying how the stocks are at an all time low.  Of course, take that for what it is worth.  And...they still allow commercial fishing for them still!

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-